Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Walmart Straight Talk Phone - Any Good? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/walmart-straight-talk-phone-any-good-t198331.html)

Krystyna 08-22-2012 04:01 AM

Walmart Straight Talk Phone - Any Good?

I am so darn tired of my insane cell phone bill and soooo tempted by the television ads for the Straight Talk service -- but wondering is it too good to be true? Does anyone have any advice on their service and their smart phones?

cizzors 08-22-2012 06:10 AM

Same here. I went with the Walmart/Tmoblie Family Mobile. No contract. In and out in about 10 minutes. Unlimited eveything for $45 a month/each additional phone $35 a month. I had picked out the phone I wanted for $179 that is under this plan and the sales associate showed me the Tmobile Prism on the wall that was basically the same phone for $129. You can get any Tmobile phone with this plan. I like the fact that my bill is a set amount every month and have not had any problems with the phone or plan. With no contract, give it a try. You have, I believe, 15 days to return the phone which is enough time to decide if you like the plan. I think you will. Unlimited everything with a guarentee that your bill will never go up-win/win. Do a google search on the plan and what ever phone you like for reviews.

Jingle 08-22-2012 06:00 PM

Sounds like a great plan.

AshleyR 08-23-2012 02:18 AM

Straight Talk is fine *when it works*. But you're out of luck if you have a problem with the phone. Their customer service is the worst I've ever experienced. We had 3 phones and trouble with all of them (their phones are not cheap, either). One of the phones was down for 3 months before we got replacement for it.
I'd recommend skipping Straight Talk. We have T-Mobile pre-paid now and it is much more satisfying! We live in the sticks, so we only have Verizon and ATT signal, and T-Mobile will run off ATT now, so it is perfect.
Go on Craigslist and search "straight talk" and see how many phones are for sale!

Krystyna 08-23-2012 02:49 AM

Does anyone ever try to stream Pandora on it? I'd love to listen to music while I walk but heard that the "unlimited" data isn't really so unlimited.

MarthaT 08-23-2012 05:54 AM

My son and his wife had good results with Straight Talk, but I don't think they've ever had to deal with customer service. My daughter did not do so well with Straight Talk. Her phone worked about 2 weeks, she sent it back for a replacement and the box came back empty. She never did get her money back. After about 6 mo. of bugging them, she gave up. Their customer service is terrible!!!!!

iamjanet 08-23-2012 08:40 AM

Hi Krystyna -- I, like you, was so tired on my Verizon phone bill. Decided to try Straight Talk, and have never looked back. I get unlimited talk - text - data <web> for $45/month. I haven't had a bit of trouble.

misseva 08-23-2012 09:16 AM

I've had Straight Talk for approx. 2 years - no problems. I have the $30 plan which includes the web but I seldom use it B/C I have my computer. I love it for texting although I don't do a lot - it sure comes in handy when you just need to tell someone something short & sweet. I bought a Samsung for $99 with slip out keyboard.

quiltmau 08-23-2012 10:16 AM

I decided when I retired not to be chained to my cell anymore. I have an ATT prepaid for one year at $100 per year. I always have money left over. I do not text or use my cell for anything but to keep my DH happy when I am out alone. Don't know what her thinks is going to happen but he insists I carry it with me. I keep it in the car.

homebody323 08-23-2012 05:56 PM

DH and I have both changed from Verizon to Straight Talk and have been on the $30 plan for about a year. He did decide to change his phone, i forget why, but they were helpful and it was done very quickly. When my son was in town and there were lots of family get-togethers I used up my $30 in less than 30 days - no problems just added another $30 to the works - it changes the day you have to refill - no problems with the signals. The phones we bought use Verizon towers. They will tell you which phones use which towers before you buy. We were spending about $250/mo on Verizon and locked in for 2 years - seperate contracts we had before we met. Now we are spending $60/mo and are much happier all round.