Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Want to share your best tips when moving house? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/want-share-your-best-tips-when-moving-house-t151730.html)

Gal 09-09-2011 06:37 PM

We are about to make a big move south, I hate having to pack but the expense is too great to get in the removals company to do it, so we are doing it ourselves! A company is doing the transporting by the hour.
I would love to hear from anyone who has some great tips on anything at all with regard to removals, from what to do with the pets to redirecting mail, first night in the new house/ new town, to moving my very large pot plants ! I have moved around a bit in the past, but there is always some one some place who has a fabulous idea for this or that!
Who better to ask than all our quilting friends on QB.
Looking forward to your great tips!
Many thanks
Gal

amandasgramma 09-09-2011 06:39 PM

Congrats on the move!!

Pack your car with essentials.....sleeping bags or linens, washcloths/towels, paper plates, utensils, pots & pans if you don't want to order out pizza. Have everything in the car/truck that's easy to get to which means you won't have to unpack the whole truck and dig thru boxes to find things you need to have for the first night or two in your new house.

Easy to have mail forwarded --- but do it online! you'll have a written confirmation from the PO.

Animals -- carry them in a crate. Take them into the house then lead (or carry the cat) around the new house after everything settles down. Do NOT lock a cat into a bedroom or bathroom for days. That's traumatic! Carrying them around and showing them their new territory will help them understand what's happening. I've moved numerous cats/dogs and never had a problem with one running away.

QuiltMania 09-09-2011 06:41 PM

I haven't moved houses all that much but I have moved classrooms a lot. I would suggest, as you are packing, number each box and make a list of what is in each box. Keep that list with you so you know if you are missing anything when you reach your destination.

Deb watkins 09-09-2011 06:49 PM

Label boxes (kitchen, bathroom, Jane's room) and also keep a list of what is in the boxes. Pack like things with like things. Essentials in the car as previously posted. Quick snack foods, juice boxes, water. Keep scissors, tape, pen and pencil handy. Take frequent breaks! I packed one room at a time and loaded into the self moving van. Large furniture in first....kept the dressers full, tied them shut. Paper boxes, or boxes from the liquor store are really the perfect size for weight and handling.

BETTY62 09-09-2011 06:53 PM

My tips are:
1) Start packing things as far in advance as possible.
2) Think about what you will need the 1st day and pack it in a box labeled as such so you can quickly find it. Things like medicane, toothbrush,tooth paste, blankets, sheets, towels, a change of clothing, the coffee maker and coffee, sugar and creamer. And something like sweet rolls for breakfast.
3) Box each room one at a time and label the box for the room it needs to be placed in at your new home.
4) Take time to go thru your things as you box stuff and do not pack anything you no longer need or want. Donate it or give it away before you move.

Good luck and may you enjoy your new home.

GreatStarter 09-09-2011 07:02 PM

Toilet paper, make sure it's in your car and you can get to it immediately. Also pack a box to take with you of coffee maker,(if you use it), and coffee/tea or whatever, enough silverware for number of people in family, dishes, cups, etc. You will never find your immediate essentials when you first arrive so be sure you take a box with YOU of things you will need, oh and a working flashlight.
Good luck
Kat

Lori S 09-09-2011 07:11 PM

My biggest tip .. when you get to the new house... Set up the beds and get all the bedding on first!! So when you are exhausted you can get a good nights sleep !

sunflower126 09-09-2011 07:16 PM

We moved 4 years ago. A funny story: The man buying our home wanted to move in 2 weeks before we could get into our new house. Not wanting to lose the sale we decided to move in with my 89 yr old mom who lives in a small 2 bedroom townhouse. We got our air mattress and blew it up and threw it on the floor. Not much room but we managed. Except for a few things that fit into my minivan everything else was in storage. Figured we could survive for the 2 weeks. So we get ready to go to church on Sun and found out the only shoes that we had we the dirty, smelly, paint covered tennis shoes we had on our feet. I guess I didn't do so well after all. We went to the local WalMart and each bought an inexpensive pair which never got worn again. Mom enjoyed us staying there but by the time we were able to get into our new house we were more than ready. It was midnight before we could go to bed so we dug out a mattress out of the truck,threw it on the floor and went to sleep. The next day everyone came and helped to moved everything into the house.

Not I know that didn't answer your question but that is what came to mind when I read the subject. Good luck on your move.

Ellen 09-09-2011 07:20 PM

When I first read this, I thought you were going to literally move your house and my advice was going to be "Get out of the way". I agree with all the above advice and really can't add to it. I've always been moved by the Navy but when we retired, we took what we always called a crash kit to the next place. It had every essential we would need until we found a place to live permanently which turned out to be 2 years later. And here I am. Just have fun....think of it as camping?

arimuse 09-09-2011 07:51 PM

1. absolutely dont take anything with you that doesnt get used , is too small, you have more than 2 of (this happens! lol), you really never wanted - make a pile that goes to or can be picked up by Goodwill/ or a local charity, or if no one wants it, it goes to the trash.
2. pack moving bxes tight and light (so no breakage, and if you get stuck at home alone unpacking you can move things by yourself)
3. as mentioned like with like, and mark the box what rm it goes into (my bedrm, sewing rn, kicthen, etc); and mark whats in it: bedding, summer clothes, fabric stash, etc.
4. try to get the truck or cars packed with the farthest rooms stuff on last so it will unload first - only cus you dont want to try and move boxes around the ones sitting closest to the door where the truck/car is unloaded.
5. if you know it will be late when you unpack, do,as mentioned, pack as many beds/bedding as needed to put up and get a good nites sleep. pack some towels, tp, even have a suitcase like youre vacationing with toothpaste, change of clothes, pills, things you need everyday so you dont have to look thru boxes.
6. when we moved, we met out for lunch everyday, hubs was at work everyday and I was unpacking for a month! I didnt cook much that month I can tell you!
sharet