Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Warning: Laundry detergent packs (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/warning-laundry-detergent-packs-t189970.html)

Sadiemae 05-25-2012 07:14 AM

Warning: Laundry detergent packs

I just read an article about the Laundry Detergent packs that are being sold now. Doctors report a rise in kids eating these detergent packs. Some of the bright colors and swirls of the packs cause children to think they are candy. They can cause nausea and breathing problems in children.

Helovesme 05-25-2012 07:53 AM

I heard this on K-LOVE this morning. I don't buy these, but it's good info to have because we do have grandbabies that come over.

NancyG 05-25-2012 09:29 PM

Well, it's just common sense to keep all cleaning products out of reach of children......including the brightly colored packets.

Sheila_H 05-26-2012 07:17 PM

I've heard the warnings as well - I always keep any of that stuff way on the top shelve well out of their reach, but I wonder with the pods how cost effective is it. They charge around the same as for one of the large jugs of detergent, I like having my 180 load jugs and it works pretty well.
I think of when mom was doing our laundry growing up she'd get the box of detergent that had the tea towel in it or some other prize, clothes came out clean without all these gimmics they push now.

Alu_Rathbone 05-26-2012 07:54 PM

I heard this on the news. Honestly, what is wrong with some parents? Seriously, put this stuff away, in a closet, on a high shelf where children cannot see, nor get at it. Common sense! We keep ours on top of the washer, but we don't have children in the basement near the laundry room, so it's not an issue. Anything we buy that's extra goes into the linen closet, on a high shelf. I don't even have children and even I know that things like that should be put away where children cannot see them. We have the cabinet under the sink with a lock on it is we keep cleaning things underneath.

Sadiemae 05-26-2012 08:15 PM

I agree with everything posted. I don't have children either, but I keep the laundry detergent up high so my dogs can't get to it. It is hard for me to understand why children are able to get these kinds of things when I protect my poodles from them...

Alu_Rathbone 05-26-2012 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae (Post 5245553)
I agree with everything posted. I don't have children either, but I keep the laundry detergent up high so my dogs can't get to it. It is hard for me to understand why children are able to get these kinds of things when I protect my poodles from them...

I agree! Where is the common sense, or is that no longer being handed out? *shakes head* It saddens me what some people do.

coopah 05-27-2012 04:55 AM

Yes, up high...what happened to the little plastic doohickeys that you put inside the cabinets that would keep the kids out?

sewred 05-27-2012 06:04 AM

Thank you for this although I don't buy these its good to know. I make my own laundry detergent.

bearisgray 05-27-2012 06:08 AM

Some kids are VERY good at getting up and into things.

Even when one thinks one has taken precautions.

Sometimes it is parental carelessness/thoughtlessness/stupidity - sometimes one gets a kid (even toddler size) that could probably have a career as a cat burglar.

Wonder if there would be a way to keep the 'convenience' of the detergent balls and make them 'unattractive to kids'?

Although I don't see much difficulty in measuring out some detergent.

Another thing that sort of freaks me out - antifreeze is usually 'blue' - some beverages are now also blue.