Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Warning to Wichita, KS area (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/warning-wichita-ks-area-t266399.html)

KansasGirl 06-14-2015 12:10 PM

Warning to Wichita, KS area

I saw an ad on the Wichita Craigslist site yesterday that advertised a Handi Quilter Avante, less than a year old for only $2,000. I responded and asked about it. I was told by the seller (email) that the price was correct and all I had to do was give my name and address and he would open an account for me through an Ebay Protection Plan because that was the best way to protect me and him to pay for it. Hmmmm....too good to be true I thought, plus the reason for selling it wasn't the same reason listed in the ad. So I did an investigation with Ebay and they do not have this type of plan. Did some more checking on Scam alerts and this is one of the biggest scams going on through Craigslist. It is not Craigslist's fault. I couldn't find anywhere to alert anyone to this scam, so thought I would alert all you quilters out there about these kinds of scams and maybe help someone not to fall for them. Always remember that if it's too good to be true it probably is.

quiltingcandy 06-14-2015 12:14 PM

Thanks for the heads up - I am going to tell people that I know that use Craigslist.

I see that you are in Winfield, my dad's family is from Wellington and Winfield. My sisters & I were all born in Wellington - love that part of Kansas.

HouseDragon 06-14-2015 12:17 PM

:mad: Wow! Mahalo for the heads up!

Never give a stranger (or new online acquaintance) your name or address or any other information.

And don't forget to meet someone from Craigslist in a neutral place and bring someone with you especially if you are a female or elderly.

There's a new scam every minute. It's just a shame that we quilters are now on the list of people to scam.

QuiltingVagabond 06-14-2015 01:03 PM

OH I saw the same ad on the Louisville craigslist- SCAMMER! And I was thinking "what a great deal!"

paoberle 06-15-2015 02:08 AM

I hope you let Craig's List know so the ad can be pulled.

ManiacQuilter2 06-15-2015 03:38 AM

Thanks for this post. It reminds me that you have to be so carefully when doing any type of transaction online.

lindaschipper 06-15-2015 04:06 AM

Did you think to call a radio station or TV news station?? That would have really put the word out.

Dodie 06-15-2015 04:53 AM

Thanks so much for this info and also about not giving name or address seems to be getting worse and sometimes we forget all precautions

tlpa 06-15-2015 06:06 AM

You can flag a Craig's list ad....I've done it numerous times for fake high-end sewing machine scams with prices too good to be true, with person not in my area so can't view, but willing to ship! Definitely beware...I've also flagged some Ebay listings for sewing machine listings that were scams (pirating someone else's account and putting their own add within the listing.."must e-mail me directly" type wording. Have to be careful everywhere.

Bibliogirl 06-15-2015 08:18 AM

Thanks for letting us know. I use Craig's List sometimes. You have to be really careful and check things like you did.