Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Wash purchased clothing before wearing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/wash-purchased-clothing-before-wearing-t281445.html)

Geri B 08-19-2016 08:25 AM

Wash purchased clothing before wearing?

Since in the MAIN forum the question of pre wash, dry, starch, iron fabric was brought up again, and so many do the above because of allergies, "chemical smell" of new fab, handling by unknown hands before purchase, etc., I wondered if that same rule holds true for clothing, linens,whatever purchased that can be washed, is washed.... Me, ah, no, not if purchased new....if I do buy anything at resale shops, it will get soap and water...but I do not buy clothing there, just "hard" things, maybe..........just wondering...

ManiacQuilter2 08-19-2016 08:36 AM

I would wash anything that might not be new and clean.

gramajo 08-19-2016 08:43 AM

I wash everything that was not purchased new from the store.

jbj137 08-19-2016 09:16 AM

*** I wash everything. I have allergies.
*** Sometime new clothes make me itch.
*** If really dark colors they will sometimes fade on my underwear.

Cactus Stitchin 08-19-2016 09:20 AM

Alas, I do wash new garments immediately after purchase. The last time I handed my husband a brand new shirt and asked him to wear it, he ended up with a rash and red welts wherever the fabric touched his skin. He was miserable for three days and so was I with his complaining!

bearisgray 08-19-2016 10:03 AM

So - items that are "new" and purchased from a retail store have been handled less and are more "sanitary" or handled by healthier/"classier" people than those items that are in a resale store or at a yard sale?

orangeroom 08-19-2016 10:07 AM

I always wash clothing purchased from stores prior to wearing them. I never wash fabric prior to piecing.

Stitchnripper 08-19-2016 10:09 AM

I never wash fabric except for flannel and I have never washed anything new from the store. I guess I am not sensitive to whatever chemicals or handling the items have had from manufacture to my house.

Geri B 08-19-2016 10:16 AM

...so to go further...if it must be dry cleaned, you do that too before wearing?

cathyvv 08-19-2016 10:38 AM

It's probably a good idea to run new clothing through the dryer at a moderately high heat just in case any bugs - like bedbugs - hitch hiked into the store with a customer and took a ride to a new home (yours) on your newly purchased clothing. My dryer is right next to the garage, so I can conveniently do that before the clothes gets in the house.

Anything fabric item frome the thrift store is washed and dried before it gets into the house.I don't know where it was before the thrift store and so many of the items are "scented" (a) via the 'air fresheners" that can be bought through any store and placed in an electric outlet in your home, (b) colognes used by the former owner. I am particularly sensitive to fragrances; not allergic according to my Dr, just 'sensitive'.

The air fresheners creep me out - breathing all those fragrant chemicals all day long doesn't seem like it would be good for me.