Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Washing kitchen floor (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/washing-kitchen-floor-t50182.html)

Nanjun 06-20-2010 04:32 AM

Been there and had others do that to my washed and waxed floor(long time ago)

CarrieAnne 06-20-2010 09:08 AM

I have a Swiffer mop, and all the pets are afraid of the noise it makes. I take it out and they HIDE! LOL, I dont mop much!!!!!!!!

starlight 06-20-2010 10:36 AM

Steam cleaner here. I do it right after I do the dishes wouldn't have any problems with DH walking on the floor anyways I made him do it on his hands and knees after walking on it once a very long time ago. Surprising he learned the lesson quickly.

Alu_Rathbone 06-20-2010 01:20 PM

We have a kitchen door... so I just have to close it... ... I have to start at the back of hte kitchen and work my way to the door in order to clean it!

Mimmis57 06-20-2010 01:29 PM

Do those steam mops really work well? I'm such a gadget junkie I just think I have to have one! What king do you have & where did you get it? Do they work on hardwood?

GrammaNan 06-20-2010 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947
I learned a neat trick for this problem. Don't mop! Go Quilt!

This has my vote!

nwm50 06-20-2010 07:29 PM

I used the shark steam mop...drys almost instantly! But sometimes i have to change the cloth mat again before im finished as i have white ceremic floor (never again!) When im down on the floor scrubbing the grout here & there...the cat wants to lay in front of me & be petted! Or go rubbing in my face! The swiffer works just as good. Like you said ...it must sound off a siren when you're through that everybody wants to come in for snackie /see what you're doing for dinner/ what's up MA?..etc.

Judie 06-20-2010 09:27 PM

My DD got a shark and started using it on her hardwood floors.. and her kitchen... and her bathroom.. She kept saying, "Mom, you have to try this, you'll love it!"

So one day I borrowed it from her, and guess what, I do LOVE it.. My large kitchen floor is cleaner now than it's been in years.. no chemicals.. Just hot steam.. Cleans it sooo clean and is dry before you are out of the room. It is amazing.. I also have noticed that my floor stays cleaner longer.. I think because there is no residue left from floor cleaner, even though I used to scrub it and then rinse it.. Now it's just squeeky clean.

I have one on my wish list for my birthday.. in a week.. I have never ever asked for something to clean house with in my life.. Keeping my fingers crossed!

quiltsmith 06-20-2010 10:48 PM

In the olden days, my mother would scrub the floor and then put newspapers down until the floor was completely dry. Do not recall the ink ending up on the floor. When I got old enough it was my job.

teacherbailey 06-21-2010 02:31 AM

Here's my kitchen floor story: I had just bought my house and with pale cream tile, the floor needed mopping/scrubbing/serious work really badly. My SO (significant other!) told me if I'd get up the next morning and pretreat it really well and let it soak awhile, she'd do the intense work when she got up. So I got up, squirted down the floor with orange degreaser cleaner....and then stepped in the wrong place. Next thing you know, I'm waking up (from unconsciousness!) on the floor with a broken wrist and a black and green left side of my face....covered in orange cleaner! The face healed, the wrist now has a plate and 6 screws and thanks to a wonderful physical therapist---it has more range of motion than my dominant, non-injured right wrist. And you guys will appreciate this story.....as I was healing, I HAD to work on a quilt project. My hurt wrist wouldn't exactly bend enough for the rotary ruler, so I sort of laid my whole forearm on it to get some strips cut....and managed to almost slice the corner of my left thumb off! It healed fine too..... So now my kitchen floor has a nice wood laminate on it, thanks to my couple of years of refusal to wet the tile.....My wonderful SO laid a beautiful light wood floor that is not nearly as slippery when wet! :)