Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   washing machine recommendations (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/washing-machine-recommendations-t309538.html)

Onebyone 02-02-2020 09:32 AM

I recently bought a new washer. I like it a lot and it does fill up. It has a Deep Water wash selection. Top loading and no agitator. I didn't think I'd like no agitator but it's really nice and there is more room in the washer. Also there is a quick wash cycle. I use that a lot for my everyday clothes. It was on sale at Lowes for under $500. It's quiet too.
I have no complaints about it.
https://www.whirlpool.com/laundry/wa...wtw5000dw.html

Onebyone 02-02-2020 09:36 AM

I set the washer to spin several times and my quilts seem to be damp instead of wet wet. The selection is Drain and Spin.

zozee 02-02-2020 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 8357141)
I recently bought a new washer. I like it a lot and it does fill up. It has a Deep Water wash selection. Top loading and no agitator. I didn't think I'd like no agitator but it's really nice and there is more room in the washer. Also there is a quick wash cycle. I use that a lot for my everyday clothes. It was on sale at Lowes for under $500. It's quiet too.
I have no complaints about it.
https://www.whirlpool.com/laundry/wa...wtw5000dw.html

t
This is exactly the one we bought last summer. Really like it. I use the Deep Water cycle quite a bit for very large loads. It has a Bulky items/Sheets cycle, several water temp options. My son uses the Quick Wash for his restaurant uniforms if there’s not a bigger load for them. I like that it’s straightforward and has easy to read dials, I like being able to add clothes after it starts. Only thing I wish it had is a delay option, but that’s not something I used all the time.

juliasb 02-02-2020 09:54 AM

I have a Whirlpool top loading washer that I got about 15 years ago the most it has ever needed was a $2.00 part about a years ago. It works fine. I like Whirlpool appliances a great deal as all my kitchen appliances are Whirlpool. Good reputation and easy to service.

mim 02-02-2020 10:42 AM

When our machine started to leak, we bought a new -- top of the line water saver Maytag. I am so sorry since. Water saver means washing in about an inch of water. So I use the bulky sheets mode for everything -- at least I can get 6 inches of water. I think the low water saver beats the fabrics to death. Think of the Hindu ladies beating the clothes on rocks by the river. I would never buy a water saver again.

SusieQOH 02-02-2020 11:18 AM

I can't wait till my HE front loader dies!!! Worst decision I ever made. It cleans the clothes but I can't soak anything.
I have to use the washtub.

selm 02-02-2020 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by mim (Post 8357166)
When our machine started to leak, we bought a new -- top of the line water saver Maytag. I am so sorry since. Water saver means washing in about an inch of water. So I use the bulky sheets mode for everything -- at least I can get 6 inches of water. I think the low water saver beats the fabrics to death. Think of the Hindu ladies beating the clothes on rocks by the river. I would never buy a water saver again.

I've had a water saver Maytag for a number of years now and like it. I'm pleased with the results. I have to say though I didn't like the small water used for most loads so I always have the extra rinse option on. Not having an agitator has been fine. I even feel the clothes are softer somehow without one.

JENNR8R 02-02-2020 11:29 AM

I bought a Speed Queen in 2015 at the recommendation of a service repair person. It's a very simple top loading machine that fills up to the top. It cost $800. I love the fact that I can pick the water level and can soak things in it. That feature saved a quilt that had bled. The only complaint I have is that the water stops filling when I raise the door.

BonnieJP 02-02-2020 11:36 AM

After replacing a Whirlpool and then a Maytag that were less than 8 years old, we bought a Speed Queen Commercial Heavy Duty (model AWNE9RSN115TW01) in 2018. With this machine I can let the washer choose how much water to use (Eco button) or I can choose the amount of water I want the washer to use. It has several buttons that allow me to select the type of load (e.g. bulky, delicates, permanent press, etc.); water temperature; dirt level, etc. It's a top loader with an agitator and does a much better job washing the clothes than the top loader Maytag without the agitator ever did. I opted for the Speed Queen after asking 2 washer repairmen what the best washing machine was. Both immediately recommended Speed Queen as a washer that is likely to last 20 years or more without problems. We paid $1047 for it in 2018.

Stitchnripper 02-02-2020 12:12 PM

I’m happy with my GE top loader with an agitator. I can lift the lid during all but the spin cycle in case I forget something. I can hold a button and fill it. It has a speed wash I use most of the time. I can wash a big quilt in it and presoak if I want to get the basting glue and markings out. So far I’m pleased with it. It is almost 3 years old.