Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Washing Machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/washing-machines-t243558.html)

wanda lou 03-20-2014 01:46 AM

Washing Machines

Has anyone purchased a new washing machine, I have bought bought two new ones in the past couple of weeks and have had to send them both back, they do not clean well and only shower your clothes and not wash them... I need a machine that fills the tub with Water, not showers them clean.
The one that was delivered yesterday is a GE the one last week was a Samsung.

PS my Husband said he's going shopping for a wash tub and board, I told him we didnt need something that old, a wringer washer would do.

any advise.

NJ Quilter 03-20-2014 02:15 AM

If clothes washers have migrated the way dishwashers have in the last years, all I can say is Good Luck! Seems that everything is low water consumption now and, as you say, doesn't clean anything. Add to the mix the fact that all the phosphates have been taken out of the detergents/soaps - we are doomed.

I have a 15 year old Maytag that I'm praying doesn't give up the ghost any time soon. Friends purchased Bosch machines a few years ago and I know had issues initially with them as well.

I'd vote for a top load machine vs a front load. I think you might get higher water levels in those than the front loaders but couldn't really say for sure. Just a guess.

QuiltnNan 03-20-2014 02:40 AM

i spent a lot of money on a top load. but it is energy efficient... will not let you set the water temp to hot and will not let you open the lid to add anything after it starts.

maryb119 03-20-2014 05:49 AM

I bought a new Speed Queen mechanical washer. A machine with a computer in it for the same three cycles cost $600 more than the mechanical one. I don't understand why we need a computer to do laundry. My old Maytag just stopped working and it was so old, they don't make parts anymore. It was 26 years old and as the mom of 6, I did a ton of laundry in it. It was a workhorse.

Misty's Mom 03-20-2014 05:59 AM

I love my whirlpool duet front loaders. Have had them for app 8 years. I can control the temp and just change the cycle and add an extra rinse if needed. That said, I agree they cost way too much just to do laundry. I believe the front loaders are easier on your clothes too, the reason I got them.

Geri B 03-20-2014 06:57 AM

I really don't understand the love of the front loading washers..I wish my dryer was a top loader...easier on the back than having to stoop to get clothes out......each time I push the on buttons of both I breathe a sigh of relieve that they start......

selm 03-20-2014 07:13 AM

I got one of the new types of washers(using less water and detergent). I found if you follow the directions and don't panic over the amount of water used it does a good job. I feel like the clothes are softer than before because of no agitator post I think. Don't use too much detergent. I must add that I do add an extra rinse to any cycle that doesn't have one. Mine lets me add something after it has started.

What I don't like is the life span of these new washers. The salesman told us it was 6-8 years. What??
We replaced a washer that was 25 years old.

So getting one without all the computerization might be a good idea.

cathyvv 03-20-2014 07:21 AM

This is a quandary of our modern times. We bought our home 7 years ago, when it was a year old. Since then, the only appliance that has not failed (yet) is our GE washer. It's a top loader with an agitator, mechanical. It works well. I suggest that you go on line and read the reviews for the various washers available at your local big box stores, throw out the best review and the worst reviews and pay close attention to the others.

While appliances have different brand names, most are made by the same manufacturers, so there really isn't that much difference in them. I like the washers with the fewest different cycles and the largest capacity possible.

We had a front loader at one time ; perhaps it was my imagination, but it didn't seem to clean well. It died after about 6 years - racking my memory to think what failed and I'm coming up with the drum rotation failed. Apparently it was cheaper to get a new mechanical washer than to fix it, so that's what we did.

When our dryer (also GE) failed, we checked out dryers on line. After our research, we went to Lowes and bought a low end, very few options dryer. It is front loading and has a much bigger dryer drum than the one that failed. We are much happier with it than we were with the old one - and we don't miss the 'extra' special drying cycles at all.

cathyvv 03-20-2014 07:22 AM

I feel your 'bending over' pain! Put your dryer on a stand if you have the room. That will help your back immensely.

cathyvv 03-20-2014 07:23 AM

Yes, 6 - 8 years sounds right for the life of the front loaders. And they are expensive to replace!!!