Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Washing Machines: w/agitator or w/o?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/washing-machines-w-agitator-w-o-t249343.html)

Maggiemay 07-01-2014 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by quilter1 (Post 6781697)
I have the LG with the diamond tub- such a good machine. And it has a soak cycle too, along with loads of other options. My only comment would be that is you are vertically challenged, it might be difficult to reach into the bottom to retrieve items. I am 5'6" and can reach fine, but any shorter and it might be a problem.

I'll be in the hunt for a new washer soon & this is good to know! I definately want a top loader & will be looking at ones with no agitator but at 5'2 I'll be sure to check I can reach the bottom! I have the same problem with furniture & my feet reaching the floor. We once bought a couch that I hadn't checked carefully enough & my feet didn't touch the floor when seated. The whole time we had it I used a small footstool!

Juliebelle 07-01-2014 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Krisb (Post 6781657)
We just got an LG, not a top of the line model, either. It uses 1/2 the amount of detergent and the clothes are cleaner. It cleans by moving the entire tub to agitate the clothes. There is a rinse and spin cycle that I use for fabric. It sings a little song when it is done.

That is the same one I got when we updated, love it and in fact we got out daughter the same set we got the matching dryer too. Love that it sings and it works so well, less water and cleaner clothtes.

Mariposa 07-01-2014 12:14 PM

I have a newer set by Samsung. Top loading washer. They work alright, but I do miss the soak feature.

mountain-moma 07-01-2014 04:05 PM

I guess I'm old school love,love top load washer with agitator my new one I don't like at all it has all n bells and whistles on it every time I stop it the thing drains all the water,detergents out don't like it at all. Now that the weather is nice I love using my old Wranger washer outside,,,,, Just Saying

Beginner10 07-01-2014 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by CurliQ (Post 6781756)
I have this one too and love it. My daughter is 5'4" and has to just about lower half her body in to get to the bottom. On the other hand, that's a lot of laundry in one load. ;)

Too solve the problem of us shorter ladies (I am under 5'), my Dad (bless his heart) cut off an old broom handle he had. Made sure both ends were rounded and I use that with my old agitator washer. Hate when washcloths and socks are on bottom and can't reach :( . Just grab that broom handle and move the item to where I can reach it.
Maybe they (vertically challenged - I just say I am short!) ladies can use this idea.
I should also add initially the handle was for the old ringer washer I had.
Where there is a will....there is a way :)

Quilting Grandma 07-01-2014 05:05 PM

I have the top loader with no agitator. I had angst for the first month. It is great, clothes are clean, saves water, soap and softener. At its last yearly check up the serviceman cut my soap back to only 4 tablespoons. Clothes are still clean. Good luck.

CindyA 07-01-2014 05:07 PM

I have a stacked top loader energy efficient Frigidaire and don't really like it. I'm glad not to have an agitator but not sure the clothes seem as clean and fresh smelling and the cycles takes longer. I find myself setting the dryer for 1 1/2 hrs to get a load dry and I'm NOT overloading it. Missing my old washer/dryer. :(

Onetomatoplant 07-01-2014 05:24 PM

I have a Maytag Bravos top loader without an agitator and I love it. It's high efficiency, so it uses less water and less detergent, and it cleans wonderfully.

patski 07-01-2014 05:56 PM

I love it without the agitator, you can get big quilts and lots washed and the fabric does get super clean but not beat up

TexasSunshine 07-01-2014 07:30 PM

I have a top loading Maytag (now owned by Whirlpool, we were told when we bought it) with no agitator and I like it. It does use less detergent, we have super soft water from a community well and aerobic septic system so I have to watch and not use to much soap. The lids locks when you push the "ON" button but I can stop it by punching a button that unlocks it so you can put something else in. It wrings out a lot of water so less drying time. It does have a deep tub and I am short but manageable.