Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Washington Co Oregon - Request for Relocation advice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/washington-co-oregon-request-relocation-advice-t112464.html)

thrums 03-31-2011 08:21 PM

We are relocating to the Washington Co OR area. My husband will be working in Hillsboro.

We will be moving from a modest home on a small farm in TN and would like to find a modest home in the country 1-5 acres or so.

Looking at points on the map is overwhelming. We understand farming communities are west of Hillsboro, OR. Any recommendations of areas to look at (or not) would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and advice.

BETTY62 03-31-2011 08:22 PM

Good luck with your move and in finding your new home.

Airwick156 03-31-2011 08:26 PM

Good luck to you. I have lived in Southern Oregon for 37 years so I am unable to help you out. But the one thing I can tell you about Oregon, is that you will not regret the move as Oregon is one of the most beautiful states in the country and is GREEN all year long. I am sure that you will find a nice place there. Good Luck to you. :)

thrums 03-31-2011 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Airwick156
Good luck to you. I have lived in Southern Oregon for 37 years so I am unable to help you out. But the one thing I can tell you about Oregon, is that you will not regret the move as Oregon is one of the most beautiful states in the country and is GREEN all year long. I am sure that you will find a nice place there. Good Luck to you. :)

My husband is there now and can't get over the beauty. He's seen elk, ducks, shore birds, the mountains, and the ocean in two days time. He's headed back tomorrow and we start our internet search.

I'm hoping we can find someone who knows someone who has a nice home they're wanting to sell.

I say we won't have a farm there, but with all of the green we may need a sheep to help with the mowing. :lol:

thrums 03-31-2011 08:46 PM

Thank you. It's a big decision moving across county.

Joanie2 03-31-2011 09:13 PM

I can't help you in finding a house but my son moved to Hillsboro in July and totally loves the area. My DH is going up to visit next week. I can tell you that Fabric Depot is close by in Portland. Definitely a plus! Good luck with your move.

sew cornie 03-31-2011 09:38 PM

Hi thrums and welcome soon to Oregon! Where are you coming from in TN? I have family in East TN. You're going from one beautiful state to another. I live in Beaverton which lies directly between Hillsboro and Portland. I've been here 17 years and am very familiar with the "Westside". You're correct that most of the farm country lies to the west of Hillsboro. Very beautiful area to be in. Here are some suggestions for places to look:

Forest Grove, Cornelius, Banks, North Plains

Personally, I'd check out North Plains first. It's a bit more rural, but has great highway access. It's smaller than the other towns and I find it has a nice peacefulness about it. There are places out there with amazing views and I'd love to live out there myself.

You ought to PM "2 Doods". She lives out that area and could tell you more or give you other recommendations of where to look.

Also, there are quite a few of us around here who get together on a regular basis, about every other month or so. We may have an open house hosted by a Board member or meet up at a quilt show, and last October several of us took a weekend quilting retreat at the beach. Let us know when you're on your way here because we'd love to have you join us!

ladyshuffler 03-31-2011 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by thrums
We are relocating to the Washington Co OR area. My husband will be working in Hillsboro.

We will be moving from a modest home on a small farm in TN and would like to find a modest home in the country 1-5 acres or so.

Looking at points on the map is overwhelming. We understand farming communities are west of Hillsboro, OR. Any recommendations of areas to look at (or not) would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and advice.

We just moved from there..."Bring lots of money" ans Good Luck to you-

thrums 03-31-2011 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Joanie2
I can't help you in finding a house but my son moved to Hillsboro in July and totally loves the area. My DH is going up to visit next week. I can tell you that Fabric Depot is close by in Portland. Definitely a plus! Good luck with your move.

Thanks for the info. I asked my husband to check out fabric shops while he was driving along and he actually did the favor. :-) He mentioned seeing a few places but didn't catch the names. So after finding new grocery stores you'll know where I'll be headed!

thrums 03-31-2011 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by sew cornie
Hi thrums and welcome soon to Oregon! Where are you coming from in TN? I have family in East TN. You're going from one beautiful state to another. I live in Beaverton which lies directly between Hillsboro and Portland. I've been here 17 years and am very familiar with the "Westside". You're correct that most of the farm country lies to the west of Hillsboro. Very beautiful area to be in. Here are some suggestions for places to look:

Forest Grove, Cornelius, Banks, North Plains

Personally, I'd check out North Plains first. It's a bit more rural, but has great highway access. It's smaller than the other towns and I find it has a nice peacefulness about it. There are places out there with amazing views and I'd love to live out there myself.

You ought to PM "2 Doods". She lives out that area and could tell you more or give you other recommendations of where to look.

Also, there are quite a few of us around here who get together on a regular basis, about every other month or so. We may have an open house hosted by a Board member or meet up at a quilt show, and last October several of us took a weekend quilting retreat at the beach. Let us know when you're on your way here because we'd love to have you join us!

Thanks so much for the note. I'll text my husband to check out North Plains. He's doing a quick "last drive through" before he heads for the airport on Friday.

We live south of Nashville in a near a community that's actually a wide spot in the road. It's about 20 minutes to any developed area.

I look forward to meeting you.