Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   We conducted an experiment......... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/we-conducted-experiment-t110020.html)

Chasing Hawk 03-23-2011 08:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And it didn't work.

Let me start at the beginning......

Kola has been jumping up on the island counter in the kitchen. Which is a no-no, but being a cat she does it anyways. When she does get up there and we see her and shoo her off, she acts likes shes mad and jumps down.
So we decided to see if she got up there while we were asleep. I sprinkled flour all over the island before bed, we woke up this morning.........She didn't make herself at home up there.

She told us this morning, "that we were silly. She was asleep all night in bed." And added, "I don't walk on messy counter tops.!"

my flour strewn counter top
[ATTACH=CONFIG]173795[/ATTACH]

cjomomma 03-23-2011 08:31 AM

Thats funny. Cats really do know how to out smart us.

Ditter43 03-23-2011 08:32 AM

That is funny!! She knew you were up to something!! Once the flour is gone, all bets are off!! :lol: :lol:

AlwaysQuilting 03-23-2011 08:35 AM

My SIL tried the same thing with her cat but instead of flour she laid aluminum foil all over the counter. That way it would slide and also make a noise if she jumped up there.

Chasing Hawk 03-23-2011 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Ditter43
That is funny!! She knew you were up to something!! Once the flour is gone, all bets are off!! :lol: :lol:

So true, she has her spots in the house where she is allowed to do cat stuff. 3 scratching posts, her own room...lol, pillows on both desks, a spot on the sofa.
Being a cat, she does what she wants though.

pdcakm 03-23-2011 08:37 AM

ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha! they are so smart, it is scary.

amandasgramma 03-23-2011 08:42 AM

LOL - we're lucky with our cats. They jump up on the counter, ontop of the micro, then the fridge, and then walk along the divider between the livingroom and kitchen area.....a cat's paradise. I give up trying to stop them, I don't cook on that counter anyway. The only other time I've caught them on the counter is one day Dasher saw a squirrel when he first moved here....he ran around the house, hitting every window, then up on the counter and looked out the kitchen window. You should've seen the look on his face when he realized what he'd done........he KNEW that was a no-no! LOL

Jan in VA 03-23-2011 09:04 AM

When you reprimand your cats, do you "ssssttt" at them instead of speaking? That gets quicker, more consistent results than anything else I've done for mine. It's like what they know from the pack leader in the wild. (Maybe I've watched The Dog Whisperer too often, LOL! :D The again, you can hardly argue with success.)

Jan in VA

Chasing Hawk 03-23-2011 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
When you reprimand your cats, do you "ssssttt" at them instead of speaking? That gets quicker, more consistent results than anything else I've done for mine. It's like what they know from the pack leader in the wild. (Maybe I've watched The Dog Whisperer too often, LOL! :D The again, you can hardly argue with success.)

Jan in VA

I just look at her and say, "have you lost your cat mind?, now get your furry hind-end off there." She squawks then jumps down.

KathyAire 03-23-2011 09:11 AM

Have you heard of the 'cookie sheet theory'? You put thin cookie sheets or pizza pans or pie pans on the counter. Let them hang over a bit. Supposedly when the cat jumps up, the pans will fall to the floor with a crash and scares the cat. No more jumping on the counters -- so they say..