Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   We don't get enough credit (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/we-dont-get-enough-credit-t294385.html)

Barb2018 01-28-2018 05:26 AM

We don't get enough credit

Good Morning all,
I've been reading through past posts (I just joined) and I'm amazed at the creativity and ingenuity of quilters. We take beautiful fabric, cut it up, mix the pieces and rearrange them into even more beautiful patterns that tell our friends, families and general public all about us, if they're willing to listen. If we hit a design bump, we just figure out a way over, around, up or under it. We engineer fabric! We're artists even though I'm not the only one who can't draw a straight line. There are some serious photo editors here, judging from what I've seen so far. And the math.......that's what gets me most of the time. Brave people who don't shy away from mixing up color into new and exciting combinations.
I'm retired and disabled and many people ask me what I do with all my time. And when I reply that I quilt, they usually say something like, "oh, OK, but what do you Do?" Is it too pretentious to reply, "I'm a fabric engineer who specializes in the design and production of thermal regulatory and psychological and physical comfort devices."?

cjsews 01-28-2018 05:44 AM

Oh, I love that description

Cybrarian 01-28-2018 06:57 AM

Lol, good one!

JustAbitCrazy 01-28-2018 07:42 AM

Hey, if "Domestic engineer/Goddess" flies, why not?

SHELTIE'SMAMA 01-28-2018 08:03 AM

Love that answer -- go for it, I'd love to be around to see their faces.

zozee 01-28-2018 09:20 AM

Outstanding description! Bravo! You nailed it,

Him: Do you have a title?
You: I'm Chief of TRPPCD.
Him: TR what?
You: TRCCPD--
thermal regulatory and psychological and physical comfort devices."
Him: Oh, okay.
You: I do consulting on the side. (meaning giving opinions here on QB and in casual conversation w/ quilters)
Him: (nods with raised eyebrows, still clueless, but slightly humbled)
You: What do YOU do?

cathyvv 01-28-2018 10:05 AM

I like that, but not sure I could say it without bursting into laughter. Let me know what reactions you get.

Jane Quilter 01-28-2018 10:26 AM

It isn't anybody's business what you DO!

GEMRM 01-28-2018 11:05 AM

zozee - that's awesome, and I don't know if my friends/acquaintances would get the joke, unless they were quilters of course!

nativetexan 01-28-2018 11:11 AM

I do so love that comment. right on the nose!! oh my. my latest design is almost done. my son asked me what i was going to do with it. I hadn't known then why I was rushing to make it but this morning I knew. it is going to a good friend of mine near Ft. Worth who is ill. Spring time coming. I always feel good when a name comes to me and one of my engineering efforts finds a home.
Keep up the great comments. maybe people will learn.....