Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   We need a new mattress - suggestions? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/we-need-new-mattress-suggestions-t196912.html)

Learner747 10-27-2012 12:34 PM

Do not get a Serta Perfect Sleeper with a pillow top! We did and it was awful for both of us.

plainpat 10-27-2012 03:10 PM

That is what we bought less than 5 yrs ago,Perfect Sleeper by Serta.We knew within 3 months it wasn't the mattress we needed.
The Sleep Number bed has made all the difference in how I sleep.It's great to wake feeling well rested.Love the Sleep Number.Buying a mattress in this country is like being lost in a giant puzzle!!:thumbdown:

Originally Posted by Learner747 (Post 5616583)
Do not get a Serta Perfect Sleeper with a pillow top! We did and it was awful for both of us.

sewNso 10-30-2012 04:23 AM

i have a sleep number bed, slept on it for yrs. it's in the spare bedroom now. the foam along the side goes to pot within a couple yrs. otherwise, very comfortable. but loved a serta we had, and love top of the line firm, non pillow top from a furniture store. no pillow top for me. hate them. going to go look for a new one soon. so glad to see that other people look for non pillow tops also. i thought i was in the minority.

Sandygirl 10-30-2012 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5424469)
The most important recommendation is to make sure that the mattress is by a good company that uses all NEW material. Sounds like an obvious thing but I just saw a report on mattresses that were refurbished being sold as new. YUCK!!! My son is due to buy a new mattress and said he will not buy the pillow top kind again. It was great for a while but you can't flip it if it developes a sag. I buy a good quality firm mattress and purchase the foam topper for it. I need the firm support for my back but my poor little boney joints need the foam padding.

I did exactly the same thing. I am happy.
Sandy

plainpat 10-31-2012 02:21 AM

One thing sure,we all have different sleep needs.DD has had her sleep numbers for 16 yrs,Just as nice as day she bought them.Both have been used every night since new.
If I had it to do again,it's the only bed I would haver ever bought.I'm a slow learner;)

Originally Posted by sewNso (Post 5622922)
i have a sleep number bed, slept on it for yrs. it's in the spare bedroom now. the foam along the side goes to pot within a couple yrs. otherwise, very comfortable. but loved a serta we had, and love top of the line firm, non pillow top from a furniture store. no pillow top for me. hate them. going to go look for a new one soon. so glad to see that other people look for non pillow tops also. i thought i was in the minority.

romanojg 10-31-2012 03:41 AM

I'm not sure of what brand I got, I know one is a Sealy and it's holding up really well. Right now is a good time to buy one. Last yr about this time I went looking to get one and found out that the stores are carrying last yrs models and the new ones; most of the time they are basically the same. I went to the military base so they were honest in letting me know these tidbits. I got "last" yrs model for way less than 1/2 price. Then I had a delivery issue and after all was said and done, my 1,000 original priced mattess ended up costing me a little over 200. Both of my matteresses are great and my family loves to spend the night because they always sleep really well on them. Lay down on them and see how comfortable they are.