Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Weird Childhood Misconceptions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/weird-childhood-misconceptions-t190204.html)

AshleyR 05-29-2012 04:39 AM

I hate to admit, but I still have those kinds of moments in my 30's!! The other day, I was thinking (way too hard, obviously) about the show "The Dukes of Hazzard". I realized that there were at least 5 cousins (remember the season when 2 cousins replaced Bo and Luke?) living with their uncle. That means that Uncle Jessee had at least 5 brothers (the kids all had the last name of Duke) and each had a child. Ok, not that unusual. But why were they living with the ONE brother that apparently didn't have ANY kids??

Some of my other childhood misconceptions probably stemmed from watching the Dukes, too. And hanging around with neighborhood boys who watched the Dukes.

damaquilts 05-29-2012 05:04 AM

[QUOTE=ptquilts;5248894]I used to think when you heard music on the radio, there was a live band in the radio station playing it.QUOTE]
I use to think the same thing... Imagine my disappointment when my father took me to the radio station i was about 7 or 8 ... I also use to think if you turned off the tv your show should still be on when you came back and if it wasn't someone else watched the tv while you were gone. Ok so I was 5 LOL

mythreesuns 05-29-2012 05:22 AM

My husbands was..he thought he could save Captian Kangaroo so his daddy could watch it when he got home from work if he would just shut the TV off.. he also use to watch his mom bake all the time, and he got the idea if they laid his mommy on the floor and used the rolling pin to roll her out..she could be taller and skinnier also. She is 4' 11".

Mine was running behind the TV to see the tail on the elephant.. I knew if I looked behind the TV,... I could see the tail. The other was we were getting a new TV (first color TV we ever bought) and I had told all my friends..we were first in our area to get one..so after they delivered it we were all going to watch TV in color. 5 of us in all came in to watch TV.. it was turned on and our kids show was on... I cried so hard, because it was still in black and white and my parents lied to me and my friends. I had no idea the program had to be made in color to start with. I thought the TV just did it. lol

GrannieLOU 05-29-2012 05:56 AM

I remember thinking that all the colors outside (trees, grass, flowers, etc) went away when the sun went down. They looked black and grey at night. Sunrise put the color back!

Happy Linda 05-29-2012 06:03 AM

That you could get pregnant by swallowing a water melon seed.

star619 05-29-2012 06:13 AM

My parents always told us that holding puppies/kittens too long would "give them worms". My sister & I just couldn't figure out how much was "too long"!;)

wildyard 05-29-2012 06:32 AM

I used to believe that if you touched the prongs of an electric cord plug too soon after you pulled it out of the wall, you could still get electrocuted; that you had to give the electricity time to drain away. I'm still not sure it isn't so, but I'm taking no chances. LOL

Diannia 05-29-2012 06:36 AM

My youngest son recently told me that when he was little he thought the pic on the entertainment center was of his dad, his bro and him. It was actually of MY brother, his son and his DAUGHTER! My son said he never could figure out why we dressed him like a girl...lol!!!

Diannia

wendiq 05-29-2012 06:52 AM

Ah yes, the watermelon seed.....it spawned a lot of threats. For me, it was if I swallowed one, I would have a watermelon grow out of my belly button......I still think of that when I eat a seeded watermelon and I'm old....HeeHee! I could die if I swallowed my gum too.....I never did! God made cows with one side of legs shorter than the other so that they could walk around mountains......

AshleyR 05-29-2012 06:56 AM

I don't know how to explain this, it sounds so dumb... but when looking at a mountain, I didn't know the ground got higher, I thought the trees got taller!

Also, I used to be in charge of being on the look out for "Falling Rocks" so the whole car would be safe!

For the longest time, I thought The Titantic was the only ship to ever sink