Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   weird fears or aversions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/weird-fears-aversions-t79776.html)

renee765 12-01-2010 06:43 PM

I hate the sound of people breathing. I know that I can't ask them to stop, but for some reason it just grates on my nerves. And snoring! Don't even go there!

The other thing that drives me crazy is the wrong use of apostrophes on billboards. As in, "put the book in it's proper place. That apostrophe means it is, and the "belonging to" form of its does not have an apostrophe. Or, like
"we are going to sing carol's for the holidays". ARRRGGHH!

sueisallaboutquilts 12-01-2010 06:57 PM

I've been following this post and gum chewing seems to be a real common one!!
Isn't anyone else weirded out by my fear of that old test pattern *(page 2 of this post) from when I was a kid??? :D
Don't tell me I'm the only one!!!! lol

And PLEASE don't get me started on the English language. Our culture is disgraceful!!! :(

ptquilts 12-01-2010 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by renee765
I hate the sound of people breathing. I know that I can't ask them to stop, but for some reason it just grates on my nerves. And snoring! Don't even go there!

The other thing that drives me crazy is the wrong use of apostrophes on billboards. As in, "put the book in it's proper place. That apostrophe means it is, and the "belonging to" form of its does not have an apostrophe. Or, like
"we are going to sing carol's for the holidays". ARRRGGHH!

YES!!YES!! I read an article on the front page of the Living section of the local paper, the other day, they managed to use the wrong "its" twice in the first paragraph. Left out the apostrophe when it was needed, put it in when it wasn't. ARRRGGH indeed!

PS - my grandfather could not stand the sight of a raw egg, and yet he used to eat blood pudding.

jacie 12-01-2010 07:06 PM

my pet peeve, or what I detest, is folks that must "bathe" in fragrance!@! lots of allergies......... but at times it is so bad I just move!!!!!! anyone else on that one?

lauriejo 12-01-2010 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by jacie
my pet peeve, or what I detest, is folks that must "bathe" in fragrance!@! lots of allergies......... but at times it is so bad I just move!!!!!! anyone else on that one?

Oh I hate that one too, sometimes at work it can be so difficult to not react when I really want to throw up!

Woodster 12-01-2010 07:22 PM

The fear and feeling of falling, as in roller coaster type rides, air pockets in a plane. Make me feel like death is seconds away. Clowns, Cirque du Soleil,are just plain creepy. Magic acts aren't any better.

Ramona Byrd 12-01-2010 07:24 PM

I will no walk on sewer grates,
---------------------------
Sewer grates, or those double doors in the sidewalks where they
must put in heavy equipment. I can not force myself to walk on them, since as a child visiting in Columbus, Ohio I saw a man break through them and fall into a deep pit. I was dragged away but could hear someone screaming. Over 65 plus years ago but still remember it.

lnikkers52 12-01-2010 07:24 PM

trying to watch a tv program and my DH decides a noisy chip bag would add to the movie

oldhag 12-01-2010 07:48 PM

Escalators..... those things can eat you if you aren't careful. Stairs that are open between the steps. While I know there is absolutely no way I could fall to my death through that little space, I'm not taking that chance.

purplefiend 12-01-2010 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by jacie

I'm right there with you! Everything is so loaded with perfumes anymore. Some perfumes smell rancid to me and just gross me out. eeeewwww!!!