Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   went to an estate sale yesterday (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/went-estate-sale-yesterday-t114920.html)

Hosta 04-10-2011 02:56 AM

wanted to buy this small box of buttons that wasn't event the size of a box of Christmas cards. Anyway there was no price so I get to the check out and the woman running the show pounces on me saying those buttons are $35 So I say are you kidding me she replies no there are five Bakelite buttons in the box so that's what she is charging for so I told I just wanted the two buckles that were not Bakelite and she refused to split them out and just charge me a couple bucks She said all or nothing $35 so I put the box down and said you just lost $50 in sales and walked away she made me so angry. I can't understand her attitude.

mommamac 04-10-2011 03:35 AM

well - la dee da to her! lol

Ann L 04-10-2011 03:42 AM

Bet if you checked today, they would still be there! Her loss.

Shelbie 04-10-2011 04:53 AM

You sometimes wonder if people having those sales really want to clean out the stuff or are just trying to cleanup by asking outrageous prices. I stopped at a sale where they were asking $300 for a rusty old Singer with no attachments or manual and the case was broken. I really wonder who they thought might buy it in that condition and why they thought it was so valuable?

Pam B 04-10-2011 05:00 AM

Generally, things are more valuable to the seller...sentimental value, usually. Good for you for walking away! I just do not get people over pricing anything!

Painiacs 04-10-2011 05:44 AM

That's sad! Too bad for her! They will end up in thrift store!!

cjomomma 04-10-2011 05:52 AM

Some people are just money hungry, that's all there is to it.

My Mom found a yard sale yesterday that had tons of fabric. She didn't buy any because it was outrageously priced.

amandasgramma 04-10-2011 05:54 AM

estate sale --- usually means the family/heirs hired someone to do the sale. The more money the hirees make in the sale, the more commission they receive. She probably has another shop/antique dealer that will pay her $25.00 for the bakelite buckles so it's no real loss for her.

Tink's Mom 04-10-2011 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
estate sale --- usually means the family/heirs hired someone to do the sale. The more money the hirees make in the sale, the more commission they receive. She probably has another shop/antique dealer that will pay her $25.00 for the bakelite buckles so it's no real loss for her.

You could go back today at 2pm and I would imagine she will make a deal. At that point the dealer is happy to make pennies over dollars.

damaquilts 04-10-2011 07:04 AM

This reminded me of a button incident that I had. My daughter and I had gone to one of those building that have a bunch of different business in them. I found this one little cubible that had buttons. No prices and no one in the area. I tracked down the lady to ask her how much these buttons where. When she told me I just said Wow and turned around to put them back. She said kinda snotty like "I'll bet you were hoping I didn't know how much they were worth" I just looked at her with my mouth open. That thought never even crossed my mind. I just thought they were pretty. What is it with these people?