Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Westie? Maltese? or what? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/westie-maltese-what-t177684.html)

QuiltingKrazy 01-31-2012 01:59 PM

Westie? Maltese? or what?

Hey Y'all,

We are beginning a search for a new companion for my DH who is home bound during the days.
The kitties we have are not very talkative, then tend to sleep all day! We have two large outside dogs.
My hubby has thought he wants a Westie, as we have doggie sat several times for a friend who has an adorable Westie named Daisy. She gets to come and visit Feb 11 for another week! yea!

Anyway the price on Westie's is the main issue with them. I am not familiar with Maltese but they look similar. We like the size of the Westie and kinda perfer that size and not much smaller. SO...
my question to all of you in Quilt Land, any suggestions what we should also consider??

The good and bad comments are most welcomed.

jaciqltznok 01-31-2012 02:07 PM

Bichon Frise! Great companion dogs!

Susanna10 01-31-2012 02:29 PM

Go to the Humane Society. Wonderful dogs.

SuzanneG 01-31-2012 02:30 PM

If your hubby cannot get out to exercise the dog every day, twice a day, then I would stay away from anything with "terrier" in the breed name. They are very high energy dogs that need a lot of mental and physical stimulation or they will find ways to expend that energy in ways you won't appreciate! :eek:

Of course, all dogs need walked and exercised, but some dogs are more laid back and need less than others. Lhasa Apso's are nice, small dogs that aren't too high energy and I know a few Cavalier King Charles Spaniels that are quiet and very lovely dogs. I have a Pembroke Corgi and would recommend them highly!:) Also Bichon's are nice dogs and might be a good choice as well.

Puppies are a HUGE amount of work, so if your hubby can't put the time and energy into one, then getting an adult would be perfect for you guys.

Good luck!:)

gramajo 01-31-2012 02:38 PM

ShihTzus are great. I've had a couple; they are small, friendly, adaptable, cuddly, although they are a little larger than Yorkies & Maltese. My daughter has also had a couple of ShihTzus. She got 2 of hers from ShihTzu rescue group in our area. Both were from families that had to give them up. They were housebroken, obedience trained.

I have a Bichon now. He's a good guy, but has a mind of his own at times and isn't as cuddly as the ShihTzus. He wants to cuddle on his own terms; he wants to lie a certain way & if I'm not petting him the way he thinks he should be petted, he takes his paw & pushes my hand where he wants it to be. lol Bichons are larger than Yorkies, Maltese & ShihTzus if size is a concern.

Crqltr 01-31-2012 02:41 PM

My pug was a wonderful lap dog!

hobo2000 01-31-2012 02:57 PM

I have a Bichon-Maltese and they take a lot of brushing and grooming once a month. I pay $85. per grooming and her hair grows rapidly. My avatar are my Pom and long haired Chihuahua. Chi's are fantastic. Always ready for love and/or a snooze. They are know as the couch potatoes of dogdom. No grooming problems and beautiful dispositions. 6-8 lbs.

omaluvs2quilt 01-31-2012 02:58 PM

I'm a maltese girl all the way! They play when you want to, but are comfortable just to sit on your lap when you want that. The perfect little lap dog. They do need to be brushed everyday, or kept short, but they don't shed. They can sometimes be a little difficult to house train, but patience is key. Yorkies tend to be high energy, and all dog, but I love mine! In my experience, most terriers are a handful until they're older. Good luck with your decision!

Andii 01-31-2012 03:12 PM

Take a look at the humane society...they are cheap and you're saving a life. It seems to me the littler dogs have more energy and bark where the bigger ones are more mellow. Good luck.

Peckish 01-31-2012 03:25 PM

Westies are very very very very very very very high energy! They need a LOT of activity.