Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Westminster dog show (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/westminster-dog-show-t275862.html)

Geri B 02-18-2016 02:35 PM

Westminster dog show

Watch it every year....I always like the dogs that would never win. Have never had a "breed" dog, just curbsitters. I am fascinated by the Pulli and Comundor (sp)....they're the ones that have the cords, not fur, sort of like a rag mop.....I would like to touch their coat. I do not like how they show poodles, cocker spaniels, setters....extreme fur lengths or lack thereof. I like to hear the history of each breed. I cannot understand how the judges can pick the best of group from all the variety of breeds presented.....

Nammie to 7 02-18-2016 02:38 PM

I enjoy watching the show also -- It amazes me what I learn about each breed. Lots of work and love go into raising a champion dog.

Material Witness 02-18-2016 07:22 PM

Me too! It's so unfair that they continue during the commercials and we miss them.

tesspug 02-18-2016 07:24 PM

I always get a chuckle when they say things like, this is not a breed for the inexperienced dog owner. Or this dog needs an owner who is more stubborn than the dog. He he, are you saying this breed can be a pain?

QuiltnLady1 02-18-2016 10:23 PM

I love watching the regular dog show because of all the breeds but I really enjoy the agility show -- seeing all those dogs going around the course is a hoot.

DOTTYMO 02-18-2016 11:47 PM

I guess this show is equivalent to Crufts in UK. I LOVE watching that. A good dog is good to one person a pain to another.

Feather3 02-18-2016 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 7469616)
Watch it every year....I always like the dogs that would never win. Have never had a "breed" dog, just curbsitters. I am fascinated by the Pulli and Comundor (sp)....they're the ones that have the cords, not fur, sort of like a rag mop.....I would like to touch their coat. I do not like how they show poodles, cocker spaniels, setters....extreme fur lengths or lack thereof. I like to hear the history of each breed. I cannot understand how the judges can pick the best of group from all the variety of breeds presented.....

I like to see all the breeds too, but I am partial to the poodles. I have had toy poodles since I was 16 & I am now 58. They are super intelligent & easy to train. I bred them for 26 years. All of my dogs were pets, in house never caged, slept with us. We had a bed full, LOL. I groom my own & do the show clip, but I like to also use hair bows & nail polish. At one time I had 8 poodles, all in show clips. The purpose of the show clip is how they used them for hunting many years ago. It was to keep them from getting caught in underwater vegetation during retreiving. Yes poodles were once used for hunting. People assume they are "French", however the country of origin is actually Germany. They are a high maintenance dog, requiring frequent brushing & grooming, as their hair never stops growing. This is why most owners keep them clipped short. The dogs with corded coats (Puli) never or hardly ever get brushed out, as they would look like a giant fur ball! The coat is wiry & wooly. According to info it takes 24 hours, in a drying cage with fans blowing, for the coat to dry. They are super high maintenance. Each breed is unique in it's own way, but the most important thing at the ned of the day is they all make us HAPPY :).

toverly 02-19-2016 04:41 AM

I enjoy the show each year also. I missed it this year, I usually record it so I can watch the Terrier group and fast forward thru the breeds I have no interest in. My dad raised Airedales and since they are first in the group, if I don't record, I miss them.

Sophie2 02-19-2016 06:00 AM

At the end of the show it was stated that USA would not be telecasting the show next year. Does anyone know who will? I love watching the show every year and sure hope someone is going to telecast it next year.

Edie 02-19-2016 06:00 AM

My husband and I had a Pudel-Pointer - hunting dog. (She is a German dog - You can google her) She is not recognized by the AKC, but she could have been shown in Europe or Canada. She looks a lot like the Wire Haired Pointing Griffon. Gorgeous dog, beautiful hunter, wonderful family dog and neighborhood dog. Tender, loving, protective and a long liver. Bridget was born in 1986 and died in our back yard in my arms Her Way September 10, 2001.

My son and daughter in law have a dog they use to protect their goats. It is a cross Comondor and Bernese Mountain Dog. It was deliberately bred that way. Ben is a sweetheart and does her job well. Ben does not have the rag mop, but has a total full coat of frizzy hair and she is beautiful, sweet and cute, too.

I have to admit I loved the Pointer (winner). I have a German Short Hair Pointer/Black Lab. Bess is 13 now and is a real curmudgeon, little old lady! Love her dearly. I love a big dog, but in the aging category of my life, I think I should be the leader - not the dog - so my next one will be Springer size and will be named with the letter B. And she will be a mutt! Edie