Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   WHAAAAT!!!!!???? book prices! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/whaaaat-book-prices-t90810.html)

amandasgramma 01-15-2011 02:06 PM

Okay - what's going on??? Today I've had TWO shocks.:shock:
1) Looking for a book called ABCs of Longarm quilting. Checked out Amazon --- USED prices start at $75.00 and up to $199.00!!!!!

2) Saw a pattern on this site I'd like -- Log Cabin with a Twist. Checked out Amazone --- prices start at $76 up to $895!!!

WHAT THE ..............!!! I can't believe this --- good luck selling those, guys -- I'm not paying that much!!!!!!!!

thanks for letting me vent!!!! :mrgreen:

erstan947 01-15-2011 02:14 PM

Something is not right for sure.

Valerie Scherr 01-15-2011 02:15 PM

check on Ebay I got my longarm book there.

mom-6 01-15-2011 02:22 PM

Sometimes you can get better pricing on the used and out of print books from Barnes and Noble or from Alibris.

mom-6 01-15-2011 02:26 PM

Well checked on Alibris and got much the same results as you had on Amazon.

amandasgramma 01-15-2011 02:39 PM

Well, B&N is cheaper IF I had a Nook!!!! :( Course, at those prices, I could buy a Nook and lots of books!!!!!!

and checked Half.com -- the prices are about the same...TELL me that's not a conspiracy!!!

and Ebay doesn't have the books....

checked library -- they don't have them, either. Now it's just become a THING with me....LOL

PWinston 01-15-2011 02:42 PM

I encountered this same situation before when looking for popular books that are no longer in print. Secondary sellers realize there is a lot of interest in that particular book and jack their prices up. Of course, who in their right mind would purchase them at those prices?

amandasgramma 01-15-2011 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by PWinston
I encountered this same situation before when looking for popular books that are no longer in print. Secondary sellers realize there is a lot of interest in that particular book and jack their prices up. Of course, who in their right mind would purchase them at those prices?

Think of all the fabric we can buy for $895.00!!!!!

Quiltforme 01-15-2011 03:03 PM

you can use your computer as the nook they allow you to download it.

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
Well, B&N is cheaper IF I had a Nook!!!! :( Course, at those prices, I could buy a Nook and lots of books!!!!!!

and checked Half.com -- the prices are about the same...TELL me that's not a conspiracy!!!

and Ebay doesn't have the books....

checked library -- they don't have them, either. Now it's just become a THING with me....LOL

patchsamkim 01-15-2011 03:10 PM

Out of print books can be expensive...but those prices are outrageous...I would either wait and try again in another month if you don't need the book right away...or post a wanted ad...maybe someone has the book you want and will sell it for a lot less...even if you have to pay retail...it would be a lot less than those prices.