Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What is the cheapest thing you do? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-cheapest-thing-you-do-t94474.html)

Radiana 01-28-2011 01:37 PM

We drink instant coffee but used to have a coffee maker and have a stack of coffee filters. I got this tip somewhere and it's one of the best I've ever gotten. Coffee filters are pretty cheap. Fly Lady suggests you keep a spray bottle of window cleaner in your kitchens and bathrooms for quick clean ups. I use coffee filters for the quick clean ups. No they aren't real absorbent but they do the job.

cr12cats 01-28-2011 01:38 PM

valinwa----my husban puts holes in his socks too really fast. If you have a serger just serge the toes off and trim.also have just sewn them and trimed before having a serger. or if they are on top where you can sew and cut the extra off and they might be th right size for you then. also after they are no good anymore they make great dust rags or rags just slip on your hand and go.

mcar 01-28-2011 02:11 PM

I can't waste machine washable wool sock yarn from left over knitting of socks....so I am busy knitting a wool, machine washable lap blanket. Am on # 2 now. They drape beautifully.
First one I made a mitered nine patch, and next to that a whole mitered square. The current work is mitered squares, large, medium and small all joined and planned as I go. No sewing of squares at the end. Stripes and solids, what ever I have on hand. The design references a Kaffee Fassett design method. Its a good carry along or TV project when I am tired from quilting.

TexasSunshine 01-28-2011 03:07 PM

I compost all my kitchen scraps, lettuce ends, orange and lemon peels, potato skins, anything like that, but it must be plant based except for egg shells. I collect it in a container on the cabinet, when full put in compost heap, then in spring use compost to refresh flower and veggie beds.

Olivia's Grammy 01-28-2011 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by no1jan
My dh hates dealing with small picky things. He only cuts a turkey or chicken when it is easy to get the meat off.

Me on the other hand with pick off more meat for turkey/chicken salad or just regular sandwiches. Then I boil the rest to make soup. His leftovers could give us 5 more meals.

Another pet peeve of mine is hand soap. When the soap starts getting small, he digs out a new one. I can continue with the same bar until there is hardly anything there.

Cheap, sometimes, but as my pocketbook will attest, when it comes to fabric, NO!

I do the same with chicken. I use the chicken broth to cook my beans in.
Soap - When it gets to slivers I put several in a small mess bag and sew it shut. A new bar of soap it made. I always take that with me when I travel so I always have my favorite bar of soap.

Marilynsue 01-28-2011 04:12 PM

- when i can't squeeze any more toothpaste out of the tube, I cut it into pieces and get at least 6 more times out of it by running my brush inside the tube

I do the same thing with hand lotions.

DONK 01-28-2011 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by valinwa
this is a bad one, my DH puts holes in sox faster than I can buy them, so I put them on turned around so the hole is on top of my foot, and I wear them around the house like slippers, they're kinda big so I turn the cuff down. Needless to say I am looking for ways to use old worn sox, any ideas? I have bags full. They're all white short crew sox.

I use old socks to dust with.

Tropical 01-28-2011 04:48 PM

I'm a Type II diabetic and my DH is Type I so we have to prick our fingers quite often to check our blood sugar counts. Of course, there has to be something around to dab off the blood spot when we're done. I do the following because before I developed diabetes, I thought my DH was using more tissue than necessary. I pull off several single bathroom tissue sheets and make a neat stack. Then I cut the stack in half to make two narrow stacks. Those fit just right into our testing kit cases and we have tissues at hand whenever and wherever we decide to test. Convenient and cheap at the same time.

marlene tarzwell 01-28-2011 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by no1jan
My dh hates dealing with small picky things. He only cuts a turkey or chicken when it is easy to get the meat off.

Me on the other hand with pick off more meat for turkey/chicken salad or just regular sandwiches. Then I boil the rest to make soup. His leftovers could give us 5 more meals.

Another pet peeve of mine is hand soap. When the soap starts getting small, he digs out a new one. I can continue with the same bar until there is hardly anything there.

Cheap, sometimes, but as my pocketbook will attest, when it comes to fabric, NO!

I too keep all the soap slivers and I put them in a little mesh bag, made for soaps.

Jingle 01-28-2011 05:31 PM

Growing up we were very poor and did without lots of things and had very little food 1 week out of every month. Since being married for 49 yrs and raising 3 kids, I no longer worry about being green or frugal. I try not to waste anything but, will not go out of my way to save anything.
We are spending our kids's inheirtence