Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What did you name your sewing machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-did-you-name-your-sewing-machine-t132449.html)

749janet 06-22-2011 07:35 PM

I'm just curious as to what everyone has named their sewing machines? Please share your names with the message board and also why or how did you come about naming it that?

I'm trying to think of a name for mine and I'm thinking about naming her "Florance Ida Katherine" after my mother.

And does anyone refer to their sewing machine as a "he" ?

earthwalker 06-22-2011 07:42 PM

I have named my 40'/50's era Pinnock "Jasper"....so I'm guessing he is a he:). My boss, years ago, an elderly gent, was really into computers and every time his computer didn't do something he wanted it to do he'd say "C'mon Jasper". It stuck in my head, so when I started learning to machine quilt and I hit a glitch or mucked up I just started saying "C'mon Jasper", so Jasper it is. I bought a treadle at the end of last year (which Jasper is sitting on 'til I restore it). Don't know if I will name it, but if I do, I'll wait 'til I can work out its "personality". Generally I do not name things that aren't sentient beings...quilting has changed that I 'spose.

Jim 06-22-2011 07:59 PM

havent named any of my machines but I always refer to them as she or her...when and IF I get a feather weight I will definitely name it

Charlee 06-22-2011 08:02 PM

1. My Wheeler & Wilson treadle is "Edna"
2. Singer 9W is "Hannah"
3. Janome is "Raquel"
4. Brother is "Bud"
5. Featherweight is "Honey"
6. Singer 201-2 is "Esther"
7. Kenmore is "Mama"
8. Kenmore is "Lizzie"
9. Singer 99 is "Bitsy"
10. Singer 66-1 Redeye is "Tilly"
11. Singer 15-91 is "Anne"
12. Serger is "Mary Jane"
13. Remington is "Remie"

Airwick156 06-22-2011 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
1. My Wheeler & Wilson treadle is "Edna"
2. Singer 9W is "Hannah"
3. Janome is "Raquel"
4. Brother is "Bud"
5. Featherweight is "Honey"
6. Singer 201-2 is "Esther"
7. Kenmore is "Mama"
8. Kenmore is "Lizzie"
9. Singer 99 is "Bitsy"
10. Singer 66-1 Redeye is "Tilly"
11. Singer 15-91 is "Anne"
12. Serger is "Mary Jane"
13. Remington is "Remie"

And my poor old brother xl2600 is Bertha!!!

GwynR 06-22-2011 08:44 PM

Just named my first machine. I have a Serger, Singer, Pfaff, and Bernina. Just got a Bernina 830LE so I named her Elly. :-) I will be getting two more Berninas and have already picked their names, Frances & Esther. They will be named after my grandmas!

nursie76 06-22-2011 08:47 PM

My goodness! Well, here are the ones I remember off the top of my head:

My Bernina 830 LE is Ruby (she has a red face plate and is a gem)
My Bernina 330 is Eva
My Brother CS4000 is Baby Brother
My Singer Futura is Jaleesa
My treadle is Sadie...I think...Gosh, I guess when you forget their names, you have too many...naw!

miss_ticky2 06-22-2011 08:50 PM

I don't usually name mine either..but I did name my featherweight Felicity :)

Painiacs 06-22-2011 10:43 PM

I recently got 2 older singers one is Ethel and the other that needs work and giving me problems? Yep luuucyyy!!

Tussymussy 06-23-2011 02:16 AM

Stunned. am I missing something? Is my brain odd? I have never, ever thought of naming any of my machines. Probably called the Serger some unprintable things when it does not want to co-operate tho! :lol:

Originally Posted by 749janet
I'm just curious as to what everyone has named their sewing machines? Please share your names with the message board and also why or how did you come about naming it that?

I'm trying to think of a name for mine and I'm thinking about naming her "Florance Ida Katherine" after my mother.

And does anyone refer to their sewing machine as a "he" ?