Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What do you call ............ (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-do-you-call-t67026.html)

Lormito 09-27-2010 04:37 PM

I'm another New Englander that grew up drinking "tonic" (which covered all sodas), sitting on a "couch" in the "parlor". When we walked to school in the winter, we wore leggins (which were snowpants) and we ate grinders. When I was in college and mentioned wanting a grinder....no one knew what I was talking about. We also referred to italian grinders as club sandwiches

Dix 09-27-2010 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by kathy

Originally Posted by Rhonda
This is one explanation I found for fliver. All the sites refered to the Model T.

IF you'd ever heard a Model T running you'd know... they have a nasal wheezie sound like "fliver fliver fliver" over and over. They were refered to as "flivers" because of it and it has been thus since. Go to an antique auto show sometime and listen to one. You'll have to smile !!!

some of the comments refered to an old dilapidated car or airplane. Interesting word!!

I've heard "flat as a flitter" don't know what the heck a flitter is either!

I have heard of flat as a fritter, which is a flat like pancake but more like bread. Some times has apples in it and sometime corn(my favorite).

quilter on the eastern edge 09-27-2010 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by fatquarters
just want to add (please don't take offense- this is from a commercial)

Name:MY NAME IS JOE, AND I AM CANADIAN (
Hey.
I'm not a lumberjack,
or a fur trader...
and I don't live in an igloo
or eat blubber, or own a dogsled...
and I don't know Jimmy, Sally or Suzy from Canada,
although I'm certain they're really, really nice.

I have a Prime Minister,
not a President.
I speak English and French,
NOT American.
and I pronouce it ABOUT,
NOT A BOOT.

I can proudly sew my country's flag on my backpack.
I believe in peace keeping, NOT policing.
DIVERSITY, NOT assimilation,
AND THAT THE BEAVER IS A TRULY PROUD AND NOBLE ANIMAL.
A TOQUE IS A HAT,
A CHESTERFIELD IS A COUCH,
AND IT IS PRONOUCED 'ZED' NOT 'ZEE', 'ZED'!

CANADA IS THE SECOND LARGEST LANDMASS!
THE FIRST NATION OF HOCKEY!
AND THE BEST PART OF NORTH AMERICA!

MY NAME IS JOE!
AND I AM CANADIAN!

I loved that ad!! :D

Tallulah 09-27-2010 04:51 PM

Ok, do you say shopping cart or buggy? Most of the time it is a buggy to me. I always get a "buggy" to push my purse around in, even if I am going in for two items. =-)

Rhonda 09-27-2010 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Tallulah
Ok, do you say shopping cart or buggy? Most of the time it is a buggy to me. I always get a "buggy" to push my purse around in, even if I am going in for two items. =-)

Most of the things posted I have heard of but this one I had not! This one is totally new to me.

Jingle 09-27-2010 05:13 PM

In central Illinois we called soda pop, when I moved to Missouri I was laughed at, so I've called it soda for about 51 yr.s. I'm trying to break the habit of saying warshed. Hubby laughs when I say washed. A sofa is a couch. Raining cats and dogs. Hubby twist around Wal Mart, and K Mart, Wal Mark and K Mart. Late meal is dinner or supper, used interchangably. We eat pancakes also, about the size of salad plates as opposed to silver dollar size. Can't think of any others.

Ramona Byrd 09-27-2010 05:40 PM

Well, that big thing in the front room can be a couch, a sofa, a chesterfield, A divan, a davenport, a smaller version is a love seat.

A pail that you carry water in has a bail that you grab to hold it with.

Don't make me no never mind, meaning I don't care.

She's so rich she don't eat grits and gravy no more.

We're gonna eat high on the hog. Meaning got money.

All day singing and dinner on the ground. Old timey weekend of preaching and singing and eating without leaving the grounds.

Ramona Byrd 09-27-2010 05:45 PM

I have been away from the hills for most my life time, but can not stop saying "Oncet and twicet" for once and twice.

And I still love Okrey, (okra) and a little bit of Ramps (A form of wild green onions that smells to high heaven!!!)

And you can insult darn near anyone if you precede it with "Bless her heart.......she can't do a thing with those big hips of hers!!"
giggle...snicker...

Ramona Byrd 09-27-2010 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by tmw
My 87 yr. old Mother says zinc instead of sink, and i can't get her to say it right, she was born in va. and she says her way is the right way.

------------------------------
I'm 77 and was raised in WV hills, I always thought the old sinks were made of Zink or some rare and unusual material. Probably just either iron or stone for the large ones. Thick walled and long lasting, that's what counted when you had a large family to feed and wash for.

Ramona Byrd 09-27-2010 06:26 PM

As a child I used to take a toe sack or was it a tow sack to town for groceries that weren't too heavy and were needed before supper time. Paper pokes rarely lasted till I got home, especially in hissing rain.

A friend years ago always firmly called my milk shake a Frappee, and it could have been made with cold coffee, but she insisted it could also be ice cream beat up with carbonated water.

Not too far away was "Pert near".

Many years ago I had a boy friend from NH, who hinted strongly that the best way for a girl to land a husband was to learn to cook brown bread and baked beans, which were not to my taste.

Anyone who grew up in WV should remember, or know, Ramps.
WV even has a festival for them, like CA's Gilroy Garlic Festival.
Both stink to high heaven.

A CRICk the other hand, can have low water bubbling over pebbles, or deep holes and mean crawdads and copperheads on the banks. A CRICK has an attitude problem that the well mannered Creek does not.