Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What do you call ............ (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-do-you-call-t67026.html)

sandpat 09-27-2010 06:37 AM

We have a sofa or couch depending on who I'm talking with. I drink cokes (no matter what it is)..we eat lunch at noon and supper or dinner at night and have to be careful about inviting people for dinner....they might just show up at noon!

Daddy says the he likes a "right smart" amount of some things. And only black people "stays" somewhere..white people "live" places. I have a frig in my kitchen. The land is "flat as a fliver" and I have no idea what a "fliver" is. The grocery store "sacker" totes my stuff to the car for me.

kathy 09-27-2010 06:44 AM

I sit on the couch and drink a coke (no matter if it's sprite, pepsi, or dp) and eat my lunch and supper while it rains like a cow pissin on a flat rock. (now that is some serious rain)

sueisallaboutquilts 09-27-2010 06:47 AM

hahaha, this is getting funnier by the post! I love it :D

sueisallaboutquilts 09-27-2010 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I have a couch, an ice box, I like soda and my dad drives a truck for a living and has a pick-up truck at home. We have winders (windows) and pillars on the bed. I say over yonder (over there). Mind you I grew up in Ca. but I speak like this. LOL.

Carrie, don't pillars hurt your head ??? hahahahaha :D

Lmbo!! Actually mine are nice and fluffy. LOL. I remember when DH and were dating he never knew what I was talking about. He finally asked me what the h__l is an ice box? Anybody know what an ice chest is? I won't give the answer yet.

Geezzzzz Carrie, you must be older than you look. My Gram used to say ice-box hahahaha

cjomomma 09-27-2010 06:54 AM

Susan I am 42, I just grew up with the older generation calling it an ice box.

nana katie 09-27-2010 06:56 AM

We drink sodas,have dinner and supper,sit on the couch or divan,go up or down the road,or over yonder ,we had a ice box, the stove is what you cooked on and the heater is what you backed up to get warm. When it rained it either sprinkled or poured. When it was cold out my folks would say "be sure to put a wrap on," instead of coat or jacket.

Sadiemae 09-27-2010 06:58 AM

Couch, pop, gravel roads(That's where we lived when we were little.), Lunch at noon, Supper in the evening(some people said dinner), My pickup is a truck(It is almost that large), Semis are the trucks that have a truck and trailer and are used for long haul. My late husbands family--I seen it over yonder. Pillars hold up a church and I lay my head on a pillow. We have windows in our houses. Neat and Cool were very popular terms. The Boxboy took your groceries to the car. The mailman can be male or female. Yup, yeah, or yes. Nope, no. When my husband said squirrel stew--I was astonished it really had squirrels in it. Squirrels here are to watch as they play in the trees. Chili had beans, hamburger and sauce--goulash had noodles, hamburger, and sauce. Potatoes were spuds.

Rhonda 09-27-2010 06:59 AM

This is one explanation I found for fliver. All the sites refered to the Model T.

IF you'd ever heard a Model T running you'd know... they have a nasal wheezie sound like "fliver fliver fliver" over and over. They were refered to as "flivers" because of it and it has been thus since. Go to an antique auto show sometime and listen to one. You'll have to smile !!!

some of the comments refered to an old dilapidated car or airplane. Interesting word!!

Rhonda 09-27-2010 07:02 AM

Do you know why it was called an ice box? My mom was an antique dealer so I have seen the real ice boxes.

MinnieKat 09-27-2010 07:03 AM

I call it a couch, but when I was young my mom and dad called it a davenport.