Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What do you do at 2 a.m.? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-do-you-do-2-m-t189672.html)

Scakes 05-22-2012 12:22 AM

What do you do at 2 a.m.?

What do you do when you wake up too early and can't get back to sleep? it was almost 2 a.m. when I woke up this morning?

So far, I've looked at a quilt magazine; put on a pot of red beans (for red beans & rice today); gotten the trash together for today's pick up; put up the clean dishes; made a pot of tea; read the QB; and I'm getting ready to head to the sewing room and clean up my mess. Oh, I also made a list of bills that are due this coming month.

What about ya'll? :)

barri1 05-22-2012 02:48 AM

I'm used to being on call, and getting up in the middle of the night, so being up at 2 am is not a problem.. The problem comes up when I have to try, and fall asleep, and I'm on mental stimulation.. I find something boring to read..

sewmom 05-22-2012 04:27 AM

If my Dh is home, then i play on the computer, read, or watch stuff on my Ipad with headphones on in another room. If he happens to be on a business trip, then i clean or sew- whatever i can until i can go back to sleep. It happens to me a lot, so i have to learn to do things without making noise. If i can't sleep because of snoring( his) then i dont care if i wake him up! Haha

NJ Quilter 05-22-2012 05:04 AM

I HATE that! Happens to me more often than not these days. I go downstairs and read or play on the computer so as not to wake DH. He claims I won't wake him if I sew (upstairs) but I'm a non-believer. Sometimes I can get back to sleep at a reasonable hour but many times not. Being awake for 22 Hrs. plus really bites.

zennia 05-22-2012 05:36 AM

I come here and read all of the tutorials RevPam posted. Takes awhile.

Mad Mimm 05-22-2012 06:19 AM

Actually, I am already up at 2 am - by 2 I am leaving my house and heading to my drop to pick up the papers for my morning delivery. So being awake at 2 is not my problem, being awake at 7 pm is! :)

Sounds to me like you did just fine with the extra time. But I agree with the person who said surf the QB. When insomnia used to hit me (when I had a normal schedule) I would surf the web or write letters to my kids (I keep a letter journal for each child detailing their exploits and habits as they grow.)

true4uca 05-22-2012 08:07 AM

I read this years ago.
1. Make a list of quite chores you hate ( mine was ironing dress shirts).
2. When you can't sleep, get up.
3. Dress completly as if you are leaving the house.
4. Consult list, starting with most detested chore, perform chores 1 hour ( no cheating).
5. Go back to bed, within a few days insomia won't be a problem. When you wake up you'll know you have to do those chores. You'll groan & go back to sleep.

QuiltnNan 05-22-2012 08:56 AM

i woke up at 2 this am. was too tired to bind a quilt before bed, so started cutting away in the middle of the night. it was all done by the time the news came on :)

Tartan 05-22-2012 09:13 AM

It doesn't happens very often but if it does, I do several quiet mental exercises until I fall back asleep. I start with counting my blessings, pray for those on my prayer list and work and plan qult designs. I try to do the quilt thing last because sometimes I think of something so good, I have to get up and write it down. Once that happens I'm up for the day.

SouthPStitches 05-22-2012 10:53 AM

Before I retired just a few weeks ago, this was always happening to me. Too much stress was raising pure hell with my life. If I'm up at 2:00 a.m. now, it's usually due to DH's snoring, hotflashes, body aches or a full bladder. Very aggravating but definitely not fatal. Now that I'm not carrying around the constant mental "to do" list, can usually get back to sleep. Hormone's and stress are definitely the enemies.