Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What do you do for the Big M? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-do-you-do-big-m-t142904.html)

MelodyWB 08-05-2011 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by babyboomerquilter
I am going to watch this topic, I would really like to get off of Premerin.

I did nothing just ate no sugar and plowed through it..not too many issues..my heart Dr. just told me..refusing to take Premarin was the smartest thing I did!! I also had periods that just stopped around 46 and I usually felt good..some panic attacks once in awhile..but didn't last long !!

sak658 08-05-2011 09:17 PM

I got off the lowest dose of Premarin, and I saw the "One a Day" Womens vitamin for menapouse. ..Lavendar Box... Buy them at Walmart and they have worked wonderfully. Take 1 every morning. They are great. Only thing, My appetite has increased...Yuck..

Honchey 08-05-2011 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by GGinMcKinney
I couldn't take RX since the breast cancer was estrogen dependent! At age 43, cancer surgery, chemo, radiation, full blown menopause. I just practiced being a nice person. The night sweats and lack of sleep were the biggest pain. I learned to sleep on a beach towel which absorbed the moisture. Then I could sleep longer and didn't have to get up to wring out my night gown. Finally it is all over. Whew! Due to Tamoxifen I had the night sweats and daily hot flashes so intensely.....for get this 11 years!!! Yes, T is usually only for 5 yrs. since cancer was so aggresive & in my lymph nodes dr. didn't want to take me off the T. Migraines began due to the T and after many years of that he agreed. No RX now and cancer free at age 61. Night sweats are a pain but it can be done naturally.

Funny thing...both sisters and my mother went thru menopause without a hitch..no pills no nothing. I had all the problems. I almost died from being pregnant in all the wrong places..both tubes and uterus so they removed everything at age 31. It really was an ordeal...

watterstide 08-06-2011 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose

Originally Posted by Honchey
Hi, Surgical menopause 41 yrs ago and have been on Premarin since then. started with the highest dose ..currently on the lowest. I have tried to stop using the meds altogether but the nightsweats and mood swings are just too much for me at 71.

You are supposed to be helpful and tell me that this s..t will go away! At almost 54 the hot flashes and night sweats are more than just a bother.

i haven't had a period since december of 2009. the hot flashes/night sweats have been going on for 4 or 5 years. i have yet to get my hormones checked. it is 6am, and i am having one now..so my little fan goes on! my friend uses some sort of cream..says it makes her feel wonderful.

SueSew 08-06-2011 02:29 AM

I didn't take anything. I had "power surges" and lived to tell about it. I didn't have any symptoms requiring medication, thanks be.

What is 'normal' for the body may not be what is 'normal' for the pharmaceutical companies bottom line.

TanyaL 08-06-2011 04:20 AM

There is a difference in what is "normal" and what is "optimum". What is your "normal" blood pressure? What is your "normal" A1C reading? Normal is usually what we experience most of the time, not necessarily what is the best condition for our body. For some people pain is normal but not best. Hot flashes are common and normal for most PM women, but not healthy. Wide variances of hormone levels affect much more of our bodies than just our perceived temperature levels. That's why most doctors prefer to balance the PM hormones with prescriptions. It's for a woman's overall better health.

hikingquilter 08-06-2011 04:59 AM

I was very fortunate to not have many of the physical symptoms. Just minor 'power surges.' But I did take an antidepressant for a couple of years that helped with the mood swings. Keep your sense of humor! There is good book called "Red Hot Mamas" that kept me in stitches, also Gail Sheehy's "The Silent Passage" will help.

jitkaau 08-06-2011 05:18 AM

Make sure you get everything thoroughly checked before you start anything would be my advice. What I was thinking were the "symptoms" were actually symptoms of a combination of hyperthyroidism and diabetes and I left it untreated for too long.It has taken 5 years to stabilise both - so err on the careful side would be my suggestion. All the best with your quest.

vivoaks 08-06-2011 05:35 AM

I tried everything the doctor advised with the exception of hormones. The soy and black cohosh worked for about a month, and that was it. Good luck.... I'm still having hot flashes 7 years later - but they've gone from 20 or more a day, down to probably 8-10 a day. Still, I'm tired of it, especially in the summer. It's not fun.

Lori S 08-06-2011 05:38 AM

The hot flashes at night were very bothersome. It got to the point where I was going to invent a refigerated bed! But ... I finally found the best solution. When I made my bed I used a wool blanket on one side and nothing but a sheet and a thin cotton blanket on the other side, so when I got hot I could just roll over to the cool side , and when it passed and I was cold I could just roll back to the other "warm" side.
I think the random day time heat waves were more tolorable , but I refered to them a my "personal summer"!
The idea of hormone replacement therapy was just way too scary so much conflicting data, so I opted for the method that was to me the most natural.... no presciption anything. I do take a vitamin with extra calcium but that more for the bone issues associated.