Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What do you do for daily exercise ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-do-you-do-daily-exercise-t268174.html)

tranum 07-30-2015 10:46 AM

What do you do for daily exercise ?

I probably will buy an activity tracker bracelet to keep me motivated, but until then, tell me what you do for daily exercise - how long and how much ??

KalamaQuilts 07-30-2015 11:37 AM

walking which can be up and down stairs and around the house in the normal course of the day, usually adds up to about 2000 steps. (pretty sedentary)
walking down our steep hill and meeting Rob on the way home, that is about 2500 steps, about a mile and a half with my stride and a real workout because it is so steep, I do that 3 or 4 times a week
Mowing the lawn once a week, I break it up over 3 days, but the total is about 17000 steps.

I also do yoga

I walked a lot more last year, but in truth I think I was just running away from my problems
Casa OKa this year, so I'm much happier in the house than before.

I bought Rob and I both FitBit Zips last year (the smallest fitbit made).
We compare our steps every day and compliment each other on making the effort to add steps into our days.
Even on the days I know I'm going to sit in my chair and sew all day it is always on my bra as acknowledgement of our fitness goals.
Rob has occasionally gotten high as 18000 in a day

10,000 steps a day is the general health field consensus of a daily goal.
Best wishes on however you tackle healthy living

Nammie to 7 07-30-2015 11:49 AM

Right now my exercise consists of riding a tractor while raking hay or walking the fields dragging a hose while spraying weeds!

Tartan 07-30-2015 01:26 PM

I go for a walk every day outside. Bonnie Hunter puts her tracker on her shoe when she treadles. Now that's a great way of adding to your steps!:D

mtkoldra 07-30-2015 01:28 PM

trying to walk for about 45 minutes every day, it is a bit hilly here so it is a bit challenging or rather makes you huff and puff if you keep a good pace

donnajean 07-30-2015 01:44 PM

I walk every day - in the neighborhood when weather permits; in stores when too hot or cold; or up and down stairs when I can't go out. I also take care of my yard the help 3 neighbors with their flower gardens & shrubs. My yard is my gym and all the neighbors love to see the seasonal progression of blooming flowers.

gramajo 07-30-2015 02:02 PM

I have bad knees and back. Stairs are a real challenge. I live in the country on a 55mph road, so I walk in my circular driveway. I try to get 1 mile several days a week. I know it's not near as much as I should be, but, hey, it's a lot more exercise than I got while I was working.

bjsmith57 07-30-2015 02:12 PM

I try and walk 4 miles each day; Monday through Friday:)

thimblebug6000 07-30-2015 04:52 PM

I guess it depends on what your life is like at the moment; when I worked I walked every evening, but now that I'm retired I walk up to the pool about 2500 steps and home and do an aquafit class there 3 times a week. I still walk every evening as I like to get in 10,000 steps if possible. I found a group that meets every Sat morning and we walk together for an hour, not fast... as many of these ladies are cancer survivors and this is their answer to a support group. I used to hike once a week with my Sis but she's not able now and I really miss the great high I got from that; just try to keep as active as you can... park further from the stores.... walk instead of elevators... etc.

maryb119 07-30-2015 06:32 PM

I walk 3 miles almost everyday. I have been doing this for years. I go early in the morning when it is cool. Great way to start a day!