Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What do you do with old, left over prescriptions? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-do-you-do-old-left-over-prescriptions-t169505.html)

bearisgray 11-22-2011 05:51 PM

What do you do with old, left over prescriptions?

We live in Minnesota

I have several bottles of left over medications from various surgeries - like eight to ten years ago - and there are left over medications.

I tried to take them to the clinic - they told me to take them to the pharmacy - the pharmacy said No, we don't take that stuff - the supposed "proper method" is to mix the pills in with used cat litter - and THEN put it in the trash. It still will go to a land fill - and get dispersed into that soil eventually.

The recommendation to flush the meds down the toilet has been rescinded. That idea seemed to be in the "I can't believe how utterly stupid this is" category.

I've heard that Wisconsin will incinerate them.

What do you do with left over medications?

tsnana2000 11-22-2011 05:56 PM

Around here CVS Pharmacy will dispose of them for you.

sewlisa 11-22-2011 06:10 PM

I usually mix in coffee grounds, but that still puts them in the landfill. They (Fire department?) also have pill disposal days when you can drive thru and hand the old stuff in.

QuiltnNan 11-22-2011 06:16 PM

i'm in MN also. I've seen at least 2 campaigns this year for the collection of old medications. I think one was by the Sheriff's office. They were incinerated in the end, I think. Sorry to be so vague.

ptquilts 11-22-2011 06:50 PM

I have also heard to take them to the pharmacy but I can't remember which one.

dreamer2009 11-22-2011 06:54 PM

I have turned mine over to social service agency and then handle it from there.

QuiltnLady1 11-22-2011 06:56 PM

My pharmacy has a collection bin. They tale left over non-prescription meds too.

BETTY62 11-22-2011 07:02 PM

Our pharmacy will dispose of them. However, you might contact your local Fire and/or Police Depts as they may have a program to dispose of them. Good luck and thank you for wanting to go "green" with your efforts for disposal.

patchsamkim 11-22-2011 07:50 PM

Our police department takes them. They do like to get them in the original bottles, not dumped out into a bag.

NJ Quilter 11-22-2011 08:28 PM

I'm the heritec (sp) here...I keep mine. Granted neither DH nor I are 'pill poppers' but you just never know when you need an antibiotic or pain pill for a couple of days. It takes a long time for the efficacy of the drug to actually degrade. You might need an extra pill or 2 to get the desired results but it beats spending time/$$ (at least for me) in the Dr. office. We have drugs that are several years old just for that purpose. Recently I squished my foot. Old script was about useless. Got new one from Doc. Ended up not taking it but you just never know...