Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What do you do with stretchy scraps? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-do-you-do-stretchy-scraps-t281038.html)

Sleepy Hollow 08-04-2016 12:13 AM

What do you do with stretchy scraps?

I'm a new quilter, sewer, etc... I made my first two pair of flannel pajama pants the other night (love them!) Now I'm working on a "laundry day tee". Because one pattern can do several things, I wasn't sure exactly how much yardage to get, and now I have some extra scraps.

The fabric is a cotton/spandex blend, and pretty stretchy. Some scraps are decent sized (8x58), some are not.

I know how "regular" fabrics can be used to make scrap quilts, or fill dog beds, but what do you do with the stretchy fabric? It seems like a waste to toss them, but not sure what to do with them! I thought if nothing else, I could sew them together and make totes with them, but was hoping someone does something more interesting (although I do love totes).

Thanks! :)

Jane Quilter 08-04-2016 02:15 AM

My granddaughter has an 18" American doll. So my leftover stretchys are used to make doll t shirts, pants, dresses, stockings, slippers, hairbands etc

Tartan 08-04-2016 05:05 AM

Make some of the U shaped neck pillows and fill with the little styrofoam beads. They will make nice travel pillows and can be gifted too. Make a fancy set of corn hole bags if you are into that.

Sleepy Hollow 08-04-2016 08:10 PM

Great ideas, thank you! Can't believe I didn't think of doll clothes, my gramma and aunts used to make those (and I made some rough ones from my mom's scraps as a kid). Stretch fabric would make getting stuff on and off much easier.

I love to travel, but have never bought one of the neck pillows, now I don't have to! The first scraps are super soft, so that would be great.

I've never played cornhole, but know some people who do, so that could work too.

The styrofoam beads gave me an idea too... I love beanbag chairs (LOVE, lol). I could make a patchwork bean bag chair with some of the larger scraps. I've been thinking I need another one anyway :)

SewingSew 08-05-2016 04:03 AM

Save the fabric to use later. You can use it to make contrasting features, like pockets for example, on a different garment.

bearisgray 08-05-2016 04:42 AM

Check to see if all the components can be laundered/cleaned the same way.

I would not use a stretchy fabric for corn-hole toss bags.

How about scrunchies?
Some of those stretch lengths make great ties to hold rolled wrapping paper in place. Or for tying plants to stakes.

SewingSew 08-05-2016 05:34 AM

Good advice bearisgray.

ManiacQuilter2 08-05-2016 07:26 AM

Sorry, I don't have any stretchy fabric in my scraps. I give any of my t-shirt cut offs to a friend who cleans houses for a living.

bearisgray 08-05-2016 07:49 AM

I used single knit cotton t- shirt ( it might have been a otton- poly blend) for a quilt binding onc, it turnedout great!

I cut it crosswise and hsandled it like bias binding.

QUILTNMO 08-05-2016 05:19 PM

make dog beds