Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What do you know about Shaklee? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-do-you-know-about-shaklee-t84940.html)

Naturalmama 12-24-2010 11:15 AM

A friend asked me to come to an info meeting next week - I've gotten involved with things she's sold before and I'm not wanting to "join" something just to buy a product. I'm not asking for opinions on the product, just would like to know how they work. I don't have to commit to buying $50 of stuff per month or anything like that, do I? Just would like to know before I make a decision to go or not.
:wink:

bj 12-24-2010 11:48 AM

When I was a new teacher, there was a lady that came after school sometimes and took orders. I remember her because she was so funny, but the thing she always said if you said you didn't need anything was, "It's what you need in life that makes you happy, it's what you want!" I don't know how selling it works, but there was never any pressure to buy. I don't think it's set up like a club with minimum requirements, but it may have changed.

mommaB 12-24-2010 11:54 AM

I'm pretty sure its a pyramid scheme, very similar to Amway. It will be high pressure to join the ranks, then you try to get people to buy stuff, but you make your money by getting others to join..not my cup of tea.

Then again I could be totally wrong!

#1piecemaker 12-24-2010 11:58 AM

Tell her to forget it. (In a nice way of course) These pyramid sales promotions are for the top cats. There products are hard to sell and the ones making the money are on top of the food chain.

Naturalmama 12-24-2010 12:19 PM

Can you just buy the products without joining anything then? I have no interest in selling. I like natural products though and might be open to trying something - just don't want to get a rope tied around me. I don't want to offend anyone who might sell it - but I joined another company (not to sell, just to buy) that she had worked for and wound up having to spend $50 a month and to get out of it was a real pain. I just had no idea how Shaklee worked, if you could just put in an order whenever you wanted or if there was some commitment.

scowlkat 12-24-2010 12:28 PM

Run, run, run away fast! That's my experience with Shaklee! Wound up buying stuff I didn't need and then wound up allergic to all of it!

greensleeves 12-24-2010 12:55 PM

If you just want to buy, buy from someone-your friend-who is already a member. Personally, I don't like any of the selling types of parties. This sounds like a recruitment meeting, not a party--I wouldn't go. Its easy to say no I can't attend and leave it at that.

amma 12-24-2010 01:21 PM

Natural isn't always a good thing. Pesticides can be made out of flowers, very lethal/poisonous/harmful to the environment when processed/condensed in large quantities... You need to know your chemistry :wink:

Catherine Marie 12-24-2010 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by scowlkat
Run, run, run away fast! That's my experience with Shaklee! Wound up buying stuff I didn't need and then wound up allergic to all of it!

Yes! Run! Not only are the products very irritating to some but it is a high pressure pyramid-type system. You are better off trying to make your own natural products. There are a lot of sites on the internet for naturally homemade products.

Ramona Byrd 12-24-2010 01:30 PM

The only "pay to join and buy" company I've ever done that with is CostCo and I love them. Nothing else in the home "party" line.

If I actually have to sign something and promise to buy buy buy every darn month, I'd run the other way fast!!