Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What do your Grandkids call you?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-do-your-grandkids-call-you-t200512.html)

CajunQuilter2 09-16-2012 04:34 PM

I go by mawmaw and DH goes by pawpaw. Not my first choice but really could not think of anything else I liked. My sister has friends that are called Lolly and Pop. (hehehe)

danna738 09-16-2012 05:01 PM

All 3 of mu grandkids call me something different. My granddaughter calls me Nanna, her brother calls me Nina. My other grandson calls me Naynays. My husband is Pappy to the brother and sister and Parpars to our other grandson. You could just wait and let them name you. I think Nanna is what Kayli could say from her parents calling me Grandma Danna. Her other grandma is Mim, or her version of a shortened grandma Missy. It is a whole new wonderful world!

Lalanne 09-16-2012 05:39 PM

My husband is called Oompa by our grandsons. Supposedly this is the Indian (western) word for grandfather. The word for grandmother was about 20 letters long so I didn't think it was an option for me!

Pam H 09-16-2012 05:45 PM

This question has been on my mind for a while. My first grandchild is due in February. I doubt I will have any say in it but I like Gramma or Grammy. I've also been thinking Gram Pam. Is that too weird?

nstitches4u 09-16-2012 06:36 PM

My oldest grandson started calling me Nana when he was about 10 months old. My sister's grandchildren call her Grammy. My kids called my mother Granny and DH's mother Grandma, so I didn't want to be called either of those. I'm satisfied to be called Nana.

Sewnoma 09-16-2012 08:54 PM

I called my maternal grandmother "Gram" most of the time. My paternal grandmother was a little more formal; she preferred to be called "Grandma {lastname}.

My mom goes by "Oma" and my dad (while he was alive) was "Opa" to my niece and nephew. I like that, it's easy for little ones to say. They call me "Auntie Blue" (my family nickname is "Blue") but when they were younger it came out "Annie Boo", which I loved! They're 11 and 8 now and I miss being "Annie Boo". "Auntie Blue" is pretty cool too, though. :)

Bebe2Ten 09-16-2012 09:17 PM

This is a fun thread and I've enjoyed reading all the posts. All ten of my grands call me Bebe, a name my daughter and my son picked out when they started their families. (My name is Betty and my maiden name starts with a "B", so it was easy to get Bebe from that, I guess.)

slk350 09-16-2012 09:36 PM

This is so funny. I remember before my grandson was born, thinking the same thing. What I wanted or not wanted to be called. My mom was Memere to my kids. I didn't want to be Memere. I thought Grammy & Grampy would be nice. My grandson calls me Mema/Mima (whichever way it's spelled) and my husband Grampy. Someone told me they'll call you whatever they want or can say.

penski 09-16-2012 09:54 PM

i have 11 grands and they all dont call us the same name , we are memaw Penny , papa Dan , gram, or just gramma and grampa

sak658 09-16-2012 09:59 PM

With grandkids...26, 24, and 12...Nannie to them and don't remember how that started...only their other grandmother was Nana...Dh is PawPaw...I wanted to be called "Grandmother Shirley"...HA!! that didn't fly...LOL
I recovered...LOL ...love them just the same...now working on 2 yr. old greatgrandson...he's not talking much...