Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What does your name mean? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-does-your-name-mean-t177295.html)

GagaSmith 01-28-2012 12:06 PM

What does your name mean?

http://www.behindthename.com/

This is a fun site. Find out what different names mean. Also, on the left side of the page you can see the most popular names over the years, name for twins, all different info.

My name is Barbara which means foreign. What does your name mean?

Twisted Quilter 01-28-2012 01:06 PM

Beverly - Beaver streaming :shock:

loves_2_quilt 01-28-2012 01:18 PM

Debbie

USAGE: English, Hebrew, Biblical
OTHER SCRIPTS: דְּבוֹרָה (Hebrew)
PRONOUNCED: DEB-ə-rə (English), DEB-rə (English) [key]

Means "bee" in Hebrew. Deborah was a heroine and prophetess who led the Israelites to defeat Canaanites as told in the Old Testament Book of Judges. Also in the Old Testament, this is the name of the nurse of Rebecca. Long a common Jewish name, Deborah was first used by English Christians after the Protestant Reformation, and it was popular among the Puritans.

Charlee 01-28-2012 01:22 PM

CHARLENE f English
Feminine diminutive of CHARLES

Meaning & History
From the Germanic name Karl, which was derived from a Germanic word which meant "man". However, an alternative theory states that it is derived from the common Germanic element hari meaning "army, warrior".
The popularity of the name in continental Europe was due to the fame of Charles the Great (742-814), commonly known as Charlemagne, a king of the Franks who came to rule over most of Europe. It was subsequently borne by several Holy Roman Emperors, as well as kings of France, Spain, Portugal, Sweden and Hungary. The name did not become common in Britain until the 17th century when it was carried by the Stuart king Charles I. It had been introduced into the Stuart royal family by Mary Queen of Scots, who had been raised in France. Famous bearers of the name include naturalist Charles Darwin (1809-1882) who revolutionized biology with his theory of evolution, novelist Charles Dickens (1812-1870) who wrote such works as 'Great Expectations' and 'A Tale of Two Cities', French statesman Charles de Gaulle (1890-1970), and American cartoonist Charles Schulz (1922-2000), the creator of the 'Peanuts' comic strip.

bigbrownowl 01-28-2012 01:23 PM

My name is Amanda (although most call me Mandie).

My name means "worthy to be loved".

I think my parents were quite pleased when I was born! I had the most fantastic childhood where I felt worthy to be loved every day.

valleyquiltermo 01-28-2012 01:33 PM

From Italian donna meaning "lady".

patimint 01-28-2012 01:58 PM

Patsy, derived from Patrick. Patrick mean "nobleman". And no, my legal name is not Patricia, it is Patsy thanks to my father.

Greenheron 01-28-2012 02:50 PM

Jane, the fem. version of John, means "God is gracious."

My avatar, Greenheron, means "a hero who lives near the village green" or "hero who wears green.":thumbup:

QuiltE 01-28-2012 03:35 PM

Evidently my name is meaningless!
When I looked it up, it gave all the points in history that it wasy used, and where it traces to, etc.
Then I checked the name which it was derived from, and again, no meaning, just the same stuff.
Neither are way out, unordinary names.

WoW ... now I feel totally insignificant in the bigger scheme of things!! :(

==============

Now I feel even worse ... I have two middle names, so I thought I'd see what theay meant. Believe me, these two are VERY common names.
And guess what? neither of these have any meaning shown. OUCH! :(

Lois-nounoe 01-28-2012 06:01 PM

My name is Lois. It is derived from the greek (I believe) and it means War Maiden. Though I am usually calm, cool, and collected if you step on my tail once to often you will see that the name fits quite well. LOL Even my hubby knows if I am REALLY PIS___ watch out!!