Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What Era? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-era-t39154.html)

Honey 03-10-2010 01:25 PM

I thought it might be interesting to see what era we would visit, if we could.

My absolute first choice would be the Civil War. I had ancestors on both sides and I would love to see it all. I don't want to actually live then because I like all of my conviences. Especially my quilting stuff and my bathroom!! My second choice would be the mid to late 1700's.

Lisanne 03-10-2010 01:38 PM

I love your question! Also love the idea of visiting rather than living there for life.

My first thought was to do the Oregon Trail, because it has fascinated me since childhood. But now that I've gotten old and lazy, I'd rather live in the late 1800s, in Philadelphia or Detroit. I love the architecture, furniture and styles of that time, am also interested in the intellectual discoveries happening then.

My other favorite era is the time of Elizabeth I of England. But I'd only want to visit if I could be minor nobility and go to court now and then.

Ancient Greece would also be a top choice of mine to visit, back when the Parthenon was still in one piece.

Honey 03-10-2010 01:58 PM

I would also love to visit England in the very early times. About 1200.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 03-10-2010 02:17 PM

I don't want to go back in time. I want to bring someone forward. Wouldn't it be fun to bring a housewife from the 1800's up here to see how much things have changed?

Boston1954 03-10-2010 03:22 PM

Well, if we are just visiting, I want to go to a specific date.
December 16, 1773. The Boston Tea Party. Hubby and I were in a re-creation once, and it was fascinating. I would like to see the real thing.

dakotamaid 03-10-2010 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Honey
I would also love to visit England in the very early times. About 1200.

I love English history also but boy, after reading Ken Fowletts books based on that era people were mean to each other!!!

DeneK 03-10-2010 03:54 PM

Does the future count? Then 3010 -- Maybe I could visit the moon or even Mars...

mrspete 03-10-2010 09:17 PM

1952 - 1958 Peace, Progress and Proper behavior, rock 'n roll, convertibles and drive-ins, and Ipana tooth powder !

bj 03-10-2010 09:26 PM

I'd like to visit the 50's as a teenager. And buy a new '57 Chevy. That is my all time favorite car.

fabric-holic 03-10-2010 10:16 PM

Oh what a fun thread!
I'd love to go back to 1914 - 1940's Hollywood and be right in it some how. Maybe I'd be an extra or something. I'd love to have been around Chaplin, Fairbanks, Keaton when Hollywood was just an orange orchard and you could watch silent films being made on the streets, parks and beaches, then also know Cagney, Tracy, Gable.
When I was growing up my friends were reading romance novels.....I was reading Hollywood biographies and going to silent movies on Sundays at a local college theater.
Hmm I wonder what this says about me? Why didn't I choose to go back and hear Lincoln give the Gettysburg address? Or meet Jesus? Or cross the Atlantic with Columbus? lol (could I be shallow?? :))