Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What gift are you GIVING this year? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-gift-you-giving-year-t29223.html)

SaraSewing 11-23-2009 07:54 PM

What are some of the ideas that you have come up with this year for a unique gift? New towels, underware & socks, or DVD's are fine, but what makes your gift special?

We have a daughter (27) who has everything. And money to buy everything else. What a dilema. I already made her a quilt -which she loves. So for this year I scanned all the photos I could find of her growing up, from newborn to current, and loaded them onto a digital photo frame. I'm "just" the stepmom, but I'm hoping that this will show her that I care.

rdem 11-23-2009 08:03 PM

what a great idea for a gift. we are in the same position :roll: except that our dilema is with our son who is 28. he is'nt going to receive a gift card this year but i'm not coming up with any ideas :?: :!:

b.zang 11-23-2009 08:31 PM

BINOCULARS!!
I'm giving a lot of pairs of binoculars this year! My DD lives overlooking the ocean and was wishing she had a telescope but is probably moving this year so she's getting waterproof long-range bino's that will be practical in the boat. My DS has taken up hunting and needs a good pair of mid-range binoculars so he gets a chest strap as well. Then, there are the grandkids, who came in the summer and shook up our birding binoculars so they are now monocular :) so they're each getting their own pair of kid-safe binoculars.

There are still more giftee's, but I thought it was funny how so many people have ended up with the same gift for very different reasons.

tlrnhi 11-23-2009 08:36 PM

No clue what I'm giving except for the towels, made by Cutebuns to the mother in law. You can see the towels in Cutebuns's PDA

tigger5464 11-23-2009 08:45 PM

Since I don't have much for any income (myself or hubby now)...I do have a lot of denim and a FEW scraps left I thought that since so many people are going "green" I would try to make grocery/tote bags. I figured that this would maybe be something that people would use since the plastic tears so easily and the denim should hold up well. BTW...the denim I'm using is old blue jeans left over from a quilt that I made for my son.

Janstar 11-23-2009 09:34 PM

We always give the kids and G-kids money. The G-daughters like to hit the sales the day after Christmas and the G-sons buy the video games they like. It's easier than us buying something they have to exchange.

Elisabrat 11-24-2009 04:21 AM

I bought five bags of different nuts in the shell, a nut cracker and a big wooden bowl for my oldest son. He loves to play with his food and it reminded me of when I was growing up.. we always had a bowl of nuts on the table. Odd gift but one that will be well enjoyed. Also I am in the process of putting all my recipes on the computer to print out a binder of them for my daughter who has been on me forever to make sure I get them to her so they dont get lost and a homemade apron to go with them. I am on a non budget myself so I have to get creative.

Iluv2quilt 11-24-2009 04:46 AM

I plan to make doll quilts for the ladies in my family. Over the last year I made 8 quilts that I gave away to family members for their birthdays and other occasions. I think they'll really like the doll quilts as they are entire quilts on a small scale and they don't take too long to make.

I'm still up in the air about the guys tho. I'd love to make arm chair caddies but can't seem to find a pattern for them. I guess I could make it up but that might hurt my brain at this time of year, lol. Any other ideas?

janRN 11-24-2009 05:51 AM

Since DH is still unemployed (1 year this month) just about everyone is getting home-made: tablerunners or toppers, bags, stockings, mantle scarves, etc. If I never have to look at red and green or Santa fabric again I'll be a happy gal!! Grandkids (ages 16 & 13 are getting gift cards and stuff)

beachlady 11-24-2009 06:05 AM

We give only to the grands now (11 of them-blended families) and that is expensive enough! Waiting for suggestions from our kids of what to give. We used to draw names for the adults, but with the economy, I don't want to put a burden on our kids. SIL has been out of work almost a year and others struggling month to month. My son is doing well, but can't expect him to take up the slack for everyone!!! I think that this economy is making people realize what this holiday is all about and that is a good thing!