Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What Grandma Did (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-grandma-did-t281115.html)

Boston1954 08-07-2016 05:49 AM

What Grandma Did

1 Attachment(s)
My father's mother. 100% English. Still, she had a sense of humor. Each of my brothers had a copy of this picture with them in Viet Nam. When friends would ask them if she really rode a motorcycle, they would say "Well, it was either that or sky diving". She was in her late 80's when the picture was taken, and when she left us, she was 92.

Anyone in your family do something different?

(oh, by the way, she did not really ride that thing.)

SewingSew 08-07-2016 06:26 AM

What an amazing woman! You must be so proud to be descended from her.

Doggramma 08-07-2016 06:32 AM

What a cool grandma! No out of the ordinary people in my family tree. One of my grandmas loved to dance, but that's about it.

Tartan 08-07-2016 06:34 AM

Everyone worked hard and made a better life for their children and in my opinion, that's pretty remarkable!

Quilter 53 08-07-2016 06:48 AM

My Grandma was in her 80's and drove the tractor to help my uncle bring in hay. That was when the tractor pulled the baler and the wagon with someone on board to catch and stack the bales. Wish I had a picture! Way to go, Grandma!

cashs_mom 08-07-2016 07:22 AM

My family was pretty bland. My husband and I are the ones that are different! lol

ptquilts 08-07-2016 07:45 AM

My Irish grandma made bathtub gin during Prohibition, and also homemade beer. My dad had the job of siphoning it into bottles, that is where he got his taste for beer.

My Italian grandparents made homemade wine. When my mom was cleaning out the house after they had both passed, there were barrels of wine in the cellar. She did not want the neighbors to see them, so under cover of night, they emptied them in the back yard. Not realizing that next day, the whole area would smell like wine!!

SewingSew 08-07-2016 08:03 AM

My paternal grandmother's father was an Austrian fur trapper and her mother was the grandaughter of a Catawba indian chief. She was raised in the Great Smokey Mountains. She could hunt, trap, and fish as good as any man. ptquilts, Your grandma sounds cool.

GailG 08-07-2016 08:15 AM

I had a remarkable grandmother (paternal) who lived to be 92. When she was 86, the family took away her rubber boots so she wouldn't go to the barnyard anymore. She had gone out on a rainy day and slipped in the mud -- broke a hip. She quickly recovered. And was not a happy camper because of having no boots. She moved in with her daughter (which she didn't like one bit). She sewed (on a treadle machine) all of her dresses, pillowcases, and sunbonnets (wore those bonnets all of her waking hours). When her eyesight failed, her daughter made her a few new bonnets which she refused to wear because the topstitching on the front yoke was not stitched straight enough. I have one of those bonnets. By the way, to "press" her laundry, she would fold each piece very precisely and sit on them in her rocking chair while she watch the afternoon traffic go by. She was a piece of work. My dad was so much like her. But that's another story.

SewingSew 08-07-2016 10:29 AM

Lynnie, My husband's grandparents both left Poland about the same time your grandpa did. My father-in-law was first generation American and fought in WWII. His plane was shot down and he was a POW for 18 months.