Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What have you done for someone lately? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-have-you-done-someone-lately-t86035.html)

Rhonda 12-29-2010 03:44 PM

I was making a comment in my PDA about listening skills. And I was thinking about all the times we have been disrespected by people too busy for common courtesies.

So I wondered what you have done for someone lately or what has someone done for you lately? It isn't about fabric and quilting tho you can tell those stories here too but I was thinking that how often do we practice how we want to be treated.

I am working on my listening skills. Just taking the time to listen to the person talking to you --really listening not just patiently waiting til they are done so you can talk - is a courtesy so many don't take the time to practice anymore.

So what courtesies have you offered lately or what kind act did you practice?

My DH will always ask if I want the last of something in the fridge before he eats it. I don't always acknowledge this but he is a kind person most of the time!!

I'm actually not sure what I have done lately to be courteous or kind. Will have to think on it myself!!
Shame on me! LOL

So anyone want to share? Please don't be shy to share something good you have done!! Or something someone has done for you. A courtesy performed or an actual act of kindness. Thanks Everyone!!

morelcabin 12-29-2010 03:51 PM

Well, I have to admit I am listening challenged as well, and have tried to change that, and have gotten somewhat better...but thanks for the reminder...I needed it:)

sewwhat85 12-29-2010 03:56 PM

i left $100 gift certificates in the lockers of 2 single moms at work

frugalfabrics 12-29-2010 04:01 PM

Randomly dropped off a large financial donation for their to my neighbor family (which I have adopted for the year...although they don't know that). They have received 4 random surprises from me so far....I plan to continue this for the next 8 months. And then maybe I'll adopt another family.

Rhonda 12-29-2010 04:05 PM

What inspiring stories! Keep it up people! We want to hear good things and lift some spirits!!

I guess as some may know my DH and I gave away our 4 wheel Shoprider scooter to a lady who needs one. It was a very rewarding feeling knowing she will enjoy being able to be more independant with the scooter.

frugalfabrics 12-29-2010 04:11 PM

random acts are very catching. I'll tell a little story:

My friend at work heard that I was having a bake sale to collect money for this particular family. She went and asked the boss if our jean's week collection could go towards this family. I didn't even know it at the time. At the end of the week, she presented me with $350 to add to my $160 dollars that I had collected. It brought tears to my eyes to know that one spark, caused another spark and the pot of money grew bigger!

For the single mother, who was the recipient, she was at a loss for words. All I had to see was the smile and gratitude on her face, and it was all worth it.

irishrose 12-29-2010 04:12 PM

Even though I can work in the school system due to diabilities, my interest is still in children. I made sure a 14 year old in a precarious family situation had birthday and Christmas presents to unwrap. She is in a safe, loving situation, but her caretaker is far removed from the needs of a 14 year female.

BMP 12-29-2010 04:12 PM

Both are such nice kind acts...I am sure you each made of those families very happy..

i left $100 gift certificates in the lockers of 2 single moms at work

Randomly dropped off a large financial donation for their to my neighbor family (which I have adopted for the year...although they don't know that). They have received 4 random surprises from me so far....I plan to continue this for the next 8 months. And then maybe I'll adopt another family.

GrammaO 12-29-2010 04:30 PM

Back at the beginning of November I decided on my Facebook page to try and post something every day that I was thankful for. When that ended I decided that since November had been a month of 'thanks' I would make December a month of 'giving'. Kind of a Pay-it-forward idea for the month. I'm not sure I took advantage of every opportunity God gave me, but I did deliver food boxes to 3 families, bought Christmas gifts for a family of six who had very little by way of gifts for their kids and was able to help a family who's mobile home had burned down by rounding up others in our church to donate clothes, Christmas gifts, household items, etc. while they are waiting for their insurance claim to be settled. Oh, and this may sound silly, but I try to return my shopping carts to the cart return area instead of just parking them willy-nilly.

blzzrdqueen 12-29-2010 04:37 PM

My next door neighbor locked her keys in her car on Christmas night and when we came home we found her trying to jimmy her door. My hubby went looking for a piece of thin metal and I called our AAA (she doesn't have AAA or a lot of money) to get them to come unlock her doors, before they could get here my hubby was able to unlock her door with a thin piece of metal that had a lip on it. She was so happy and I was so happy that we could help her!