Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What kind of climate is this?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-kind-climate-t173327.html)

Favorite Fabrics 12-27-2011 08:31 AM

What kind of climate is this??

So here I am, living outside of Buffalo NY, where we should have been snowcovered for close to a month already.

And yesterday I harvested a cabbage.

This morning I went out and realized that there is some broccoli (again)... and some lettuce.

??

It's as though my yard has been relocated to someplace further south.

I'm LOVING it!

But of course, this is not normal. However... if I ever move, it would be wonderful to move someplace where this kind of weather would be a normal winter.

Can anybody tell me where I would have to go, to get this kind of weather most winters? Would it be the Carolinas? Alabama? Northern Florida?

bstock 12-27-2011 08:41 AM

The climate around here is strange this year!!!!! Now I have to go and check my garden to see if I have anything!! A few weeks ago I saw a rose that was growing next to my house.

QKO 12-27-2011 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics (Post 4815011)
But of course, this is not normal. However... if I ever move, it would be wonderful to move someplace where this kind of weather would be a normal winter.

Can anybody tell me where I would have to go, to get this kind of weather most winters? Would it be the Carolinas? Alabama? Northern Florida?

Probably any of the above, but then you have to remember that you also have to put up with the summers in those places. :)

Tartan 12-27-2011 09:05 AM

My pussy willow is very confused. It has big buds already. Climate change I guess?

athomenow 12-27-2011 09:24 AM

I'm starting to think we live in Seattle with all the rain we've had. It's pouring here again today but no snow or ice so I can deal with it.

MrsM 12-27-2011 09:27 AM

My Irises are coming up. My husband and I got snow shoes for Christmas and we hope to use them at some point this winter. But I am happy with the weather and can wait :0)

Favorite Fabrics 12-27-2011 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 4815131)
My pussy willow is very confused. It has big buds already. Climate change I guess?

I don't own a pussy willow... but if I did... I would be cutting a few branches with those swollen buds, to see if I could get them to open up inside the house!

Honeynga 12-27-2011 09:40 AM

So here I am, living outside of Buffalo NY, where we should have been snowcovered for close to a month already.

And yesterday I harvested a cabbage.

This morning I went out and realized that there is some broccoli (again)... and some lettuce.

??

It's as though my yard has been relocated to someplace further south.

I'm LOVING it!

I've always lived in GA and even here you just never know ! Last year at this time we were snowed and iced in for about a week....this year my neighbor's azaleas are blooming......temps have been nice, highs in the 60's; except for right before Christmas and we had a couple of days at 70 ! Today is cold and blustery; in the 20's tonight but highs back in the 60's by the weekend........who knows here ! In my opinion, beats living in FL where is almost always humid and warm....I like the cold and definite seasons.

patski 12-27-2011 10:24 AM

ITs' 81 here in Miami, much warmer than usual, a cold front coming through tonight, we will be in the 70s

DogHouseMom 12-27-2011 10:33 AM

England :)

I know it sounds strange as England is further north, but it's a maritime weather so they are actually in USDA zone 7 or 8 (similar to Seattle, Portland, and Vancouver). And the best part ... their summers are not as brutally hot/humid as they are here in Chicago.

Hmmm ... we are having similar wet and only cool weather here, I hope my crocus don't get confused and start to come up!! If I don't have my crocus in the Spring I'll be very sad.