Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What kind of foods do Australians eat? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-kind-foods-do-australians-eat-t223329.html)

jitkaau 06-10-2013 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by cizzors (Post 6113542)
Over here, every time someone asks about a different meat, we're told it tastes like chicken. What does kangaroo, emu, etc taste like?

The majority of Australians do not often eat kangaroo or emu etc and some of our wild animals are protected so that Aborigines are the only ones allowed to kill and eat them. However, I have had witchety grubs and I thought they had a nutty/ woody taste. I quite liked them. Snake was like a cross between chicken and fish and kangaroo was like a beef. I have never had emu or echidna. I was given wattle seed " coffee" to drink which was very nice. I ate these only when I went bush with some Koori and Torres Strait Islander friends of mine. Mostly we go to the supermarket or butcher to get our meat, the same as you do.

jitkaau 06-10-2013 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda (Post 6113363)
Thanks everyone I'll have to share this with Zach. He's only 12 and autistic but he has been obsessed with all things Australian for along time. He can mimic almost anything he hears and he watches alot of youtube stuff on Australia. He can sound very authentic. At least to my ears LOL

I have heard of vegemite but never seen it. We also have emu here in Iowa believe it or not! We have farmers who raise them here. I will have to look up some of the things you mention and check them out!

Thanks so much for answering my question!

Vegemite has changed in its flavour since the American company bought it. I used to like it until then. I suppose they were trying to make it palatable to other people as well as Australians. It is definitely not as good. The same can be said of the Arnott's biscuits as well. They are half the size and have a different flavour. I this way, food is becoming much more similar and gradually loses the individuality which keeps it attractive.

omacookie 06-10-2013 05:30 AM

Try Golden Syrup on ice cream. Add chopped nuts and it is a delightful Sundae. Hugs

Tothill 06-10-2013 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter (Post 6113487)
The biscuit/cookie recipe looks delicious. What is golden syrup? Could I use pure maple syrup instead or honey?

I make Anzac cookies and use white corn syrup or Golden corn syrup.

I have a couple of Kiwi community fundraiser cook books. Most the baking recipes call for golden syrup.

daisylil 06-10-2013 08:58 AM

Golden syrup is lovely if you can find it , buttery taste on pancakes and makes gorgeous flapjacks

Wanabee Quiltin 06-10-2013 10:57 AM

My late husband was English so I know all about marmite and vegemite. I believe you take a whole cow and cook him horns, hoofs and innerds and the last bit of him is put into a jar. I absolutely refused to let him eat it at the table with the rest of us, the smell was atrocious. I know that when we travel overseas, I take my peanut butter and you all take your marmite and vegemite. You can have it ! (I am saying all this with a big smile on my face so please do not be offended !).

AlienQuilter 06-10-2013 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin (Post 6114670)
My late husband was English so I know all about marmite and vegemite. I believe you take a whole cow and cook him horns, hoofs and innerds and the last bit of him is put into a jar. I absolutely refused to let him eat it at the table with the rest of us, the smell was atrocious. I know that when we travel overseas, I take my peanut butter and you all take your marmite and vegemite. You can have it ! (I am saying all this with a big smile on my face so please do not be offended !).

LOL - you sound like me and the way I feel about liver! I'm guessing you would not like to be a contestant on fear factor where they have to eat something really yucky!

maryellen2u 06-10-2013 04:15 PM

I love this thread! I am so glad Rhonda asked the question. Now if I only knew what really went into marmite and vegemite. If it smells atrocious what does it taste like?:confused:

patski 06-10-2013 04:22 PM

You may know this already but if you finely chop eggplant you can mix it in with ground meat (any kind) you get 4xs the burgers or meatloaf or meatballs and way fewer calories!

katesnanna 06-11-2013 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by tesspug (Post 6113567)
Kind of a pale molasses sugar syrup. Has a treacle buttery flavor. Maple syrup would change the flavor. You could try Karo dark syrup or molasses with honey. World Market and Whole Foods carries golden syrup.

Molasses, treacle, Golden Syrup
Golden Syrup is the next step in processing from treacle. It's delicious and we have it on hot buttered toast.