Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What kind of hand lotion really works? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-kind-hand-lotion-really-works-t25783.html)

barnbum 09-20-2009 04:45 PM

My hands are beat. They're already dry and cracking and it's not even October! They are terribly abused with all I do. I've tried so many different things, but nothing seems to work. Before I call a dermatologist, I thought I'd check in here for ideas.

Help.

For splits, the only thing that works is a Nexcare-Skin Crack Care. Wal-Mart used to carry it, then they stopped. I had to order a bunch from Canada last year. ***I just checked and Walgreens has it now!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

MollieSue 09-20-2009 05:17 PM

I always use Nivea, but my DH swears by Eurceryln (sp?). But neither of us are outside a lot like you are, so I don't know how heavy duty they actually are.
Vaseline at night with cotton gloves over them?
I hope you find something that really works for you soon, I feel for you!

Boston1954 09-20-2009 05:39 PM

Aveeno. I have Eczema and this is the best for me.

bluebird 09-20-2009 06:03 PM

My hands crack and bleed every winter, they hurt terribly, had tried everything. Last winter I tried Rex Eme Cream and it worked. Didn't like that it left my hands sorta greasy, but that was ok if it worked. On the expensive side. This summer I learned about "Mane 'n Tail Hoofmaker" Hand & Nail Therapy. This stuff is amazing, love it. Not greasy, great smell and it leaves yours hands feeling wonderful. Now I can shake hands at church :D Is made by Straight Arrow Products in PA. www.manetail.com Very reasonably priced and I get it at our local feed store :lol:

amandasgramma 09-20-2009 06:11 PM

I have that problem, too...with the low humidity and cold here. I use Gold Bond hand lotion....works VERY well. You definately want to avoid those with alcohol in them.

Ninnie 09-20-2009 06:12 PM

I also use the Gold Bond and it works great.

SaraSewing 09-20-2009 06:20 PM

Most of all, make sure your hands are clean, then while they are still moist after a shower, dishes, etc. put on moisturizer then. It seals in the moisture. As a nurse and washing my hands 100's of times a day, I can say that i don't have a favorite brand, just often, and especially after washing to seal it all.

zyxquilts 09-20-2009 09:01 PM

I use "Udderly Smooth" - it's non-greasy & it soaks in well. It doesn't have a strong aroma, which is something that is important to me! Anyway, it works great for me, even when our humidity is running less than 10%. I've bought it at Walmart & Target...even on amazon.com. :D

tlrnhi 09-21-2009 01:22 AM

Sue, I use the same thing for my hands and use Bag Balm for my feet when they are really bad.

barnbum 09-21-2009 01:33 AM

I've tried a few of these--but I usually only apply the stuff at bedtime because I don't like getting it on students' papers...hay...fabric... but maybe I'll need to find something not so greasy and apply more often--as saravincent suggests. I bet as a nurse you have the same troubles!! I wash my hands constantly--at school and home. Hmm... as soon as I get home, I'm going to make a list and start searching.

Thanks everyone!!