Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What was pattern of your 1st Quilt and did you keep it? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-pattern-your-1st-quilt-did-you-keep-t154715.html)

SharBear 09-22-2011 07:33 AM

Queen sized Hole in the Barn Door - had fussy cut centers and cornerstones. Made in 1998. Was in the guest room for many years. Recently confiscated it and put on my bed. Needs some TLC where seam allowance was much less than 1/4 inch.

JADE D 09-22-2011 07:44 AM

1976 - Aunt Sukey's Choice. Made for my youngest daughter. She still has it and now her daughter is using it.
Hundreds more since then (many of them preemie quilts).
Have given many away. Still have about 60-70 for myself.

franair 09-22-2011 07:46 AM

I took a quilt in a day class..We made a log cabin.. Did not know a thing about colors.. but picked out some blues and pinks.. It has faded over the years but I still have it.. Have made many more since then..Love quilting..

lenette 09-22-2011 08:18 AM

Fun to think back! I believe my first one was alternating patches of red and blue with Superman appliqued from some retro fabric. I think I quilted stars where the corners met. My son was about 6 and loved Superman.

AnnieF 09-22-2011 08:21 AM

my very first quilt was one of those "puff quilts" and it was king-sized.....lots of little bits of fabric went into that.

quilterpam 09-22-2011 08:25 AM

It was a sampler quilt and I never finished it. BUT I will (someday) LOL

Baloonatic 09-22-2011 08:36 AM

My very first one was 4 or 5" squares of velvets from scraps that I saved from upholstery jobs. I pieced them into rows, then sewed the rows into one big HEAVY quilt! I tied it to a sheet backing, had to use pliers to pull the needle through. It was of course too heavy to sleep under, but my purrbaby loved it! A few years later I borrowed a truck dolly and hauled it over to a friend's as a gift.
The next "real" quilt I made was a log cabin, three of them actually. One for me, one for my Mom, and one for my sister. My MIL complained she didn't get one so I gave her mine. When she passed 11 years ago I got it back, so I finally own a queen quilt! But the colors are no longer to my taste so it sits in the cabinet...

wildyard 09-22-2011 08:43 AM

My first quilt was a D9P and I made it for my DGD. Since I have officially become a quilter, I have not kept one of my quilts yet.

Annie68 09-22-2011 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by PatchGirl
New to quilting and am curious as to what pattern you tried on your first official quilt? Did you keep it or give it away?

A nine patch, still have it. Made in 1981.
:)

Snorky Lvs2Quilt 09-22-2011 09:47 AM

My first quilt was a Rail Fence and it is still sitting on a spare bed in my home. I cringe when I look at all the mistakes but it brings back happy memories when my mom was able to join me for the class.