Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What sewing machine to buy? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-sewing-machine-buy-t160875.html)

kateyb 10-17-2011 04:07 AM

I bought a Brother at Walmart so I wouldn't have to take my machine back and forth to Denver. It works very well. I have had no problems with it. Cost less than $100. Not all Walmart's carry sewing machines. You can order it on line to be picked up at the store nearest you. No shipping charge that way. There is a very good selection.

OmaForFour 10-17-2011 04:17 AM

For $300 you can get a Janome. Anyone have an opinion on this one?

catray 10-17-2011 07:28 AM

Not the Singer

red-warrior 10-17-2011 07:34 AM

I would see if you could find a better used machine on craigslist...just a thought.

OmaForFour 10-17-2011 07:45 AM

Janome and Singer are not by the same company, are they?

I have vintage machines but don't think I can machine quilt on them. Any advice?

Grandma Mary 10-17-2011 09:56 AM

I bought my Brother CS6000i from Walmarts and I really like it. The only thing that's not the best about it is that the harp gives you very little room to quilt any large pieces. Otherwise, it's got everything you need...needle down, darning foot, walking foot, quilting stitches, decorative stitches etc. It's very light, and comes with a carrying cover...making it easy to take with you to classes, bees etc. I bought mine online and picked it up at the store for no shipping cost just like "kateyb" said in her earlier post.
Also , doesn't Walmart now have layaway? If that model is too expensive, you could try layaway? Good luck with whatever you choose.

Candace 10-17-2011 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by OmaForFour
Janome and Singer are not by the same company, are they?

I have vintage machines but don't think I can machine quilt on them. Any advice?

No...

Yes, you can quilt on your vintage machines. Any machine can quilt.

QuilterChick 10-17-2011 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by MSandy
I can't afford an expensive machine right now. But Walmart has two, one Brother, and one Singer. They are both pretty good straight stitch machines. Which one do you think would be the best to buy?

Try to find a nice local dealer who carries Brothers or other good brands, and buy a nice used machine that someone has traded in. Personally I always support the local dealers whenever there is a choice.

Wally World could care less. :thumbdown:

CAS49OR 10-17-2011 10:52 AM

Brother machines get the best ratings at viewpoint.com

I've been to classes with gals that bought the Singer, nothing but trouble.

sunni 10-17-2011 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by BKrenning
I would find a sewing machine dealer or repair place and buy a good used one that the dealer will warranty &/or throw in some freebies with it.

:thumbup: