Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What sewing machine would you use to sew blue jean material? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-sewing-machine-would-you-use-sew-blue-jean-material-t169441.html)

nonymac 11-22-2011 09:31 AM

What sewing machine would you use to sew blue jean material?

A friend would like to know what is the best sewing machine to use for making blue jean skirts, shirts, jackets, anything using blue jean material. I know they would probably need a commercial or industrial machine but have never researched them. Can anyone help? Thanks

lindy-2 11-22-2011 09:34 AM

i would get an old singer they are realy workhores.

GABBYABBY 11-22-2011 10:19 AM

I would think that any machine would work as long as you have the jean needle and adjust your stitch
length and the pressure foot pressure. There is a tool that helps you sew over thick seams. Or anything
that would help the foot to be raised in the back while it is sewing over a thick seam would do. i.e. piece
of wood? may possibly work.

Tartan 11-22-2011 11:05 AM

I use my old treadle Singer for blue jean sewing. It will even do the hems and over the welts. I know that the new machines are supposed to be able to do the job but on my Bernina, going over a welt pulled the needle right out of the needle holder.

bearisgray 11-22-2011 11:21 AM

For starters, make sure your needle is adequate - a blue jean needle or at least a #14 (90)

Quiltngolfer 11-22-2011 11:36 AM

Any "good" machine would work. Just use the needle recommended for jeans. I wouldn't use a cheapie machine though.

quiltjoey 11-22-2011 06:09 PM

My Viking Designer 1 sews through denim like a knife through butter! My husband wanted me to hem a pair of jeans for him. I really didn't want to but since I had never sewn denim, I looked up instructions in my D1's manual. It went over the folded over seams like quilting cotton. But I think any good machine would work if you make sure you have denim/jeans needle recommended for your machine. Happy sewing!

scowlkat 11-22-2011 06:11 PM

I sewed many pairs of jeans on my Janome 6500 - with the right needle, any good machine should be able to handle them.

QuiltnLady1 11-22-2011 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by scowlkat (Post 4711319)
I sewed many pairs of jeans on my Janome 6500 - with the right needle, any good machine should be able to handle them.

Ditto with the 6500 -- I haven't tried it on the 7700 yet but the 6500 did not have problems. Make sure the needle is new.

sewbeadit 11-23-2011 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by GABBYABBY (Post 4709964)
I would think that any machine would work as long as you have the jean needle and adjust your stitch
length and the pressure foot pressure. There is a tool that helps you sew over thick seams. Or anything
that would help the foot to be raised in the back while it is sewing over a thick seam would do. i.e. piece
of wood? may possibly work.

I agree with GabbyAbby.