Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What sewing things have you bought that you wish you hadn't? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-sewing-things-have-you-bought-you-wish-you-hadnt-t270177.html)

ShirlinAZ 09-21-2015 08:28 AM

The quilt calculator, but decided it was a waste of money in time to return it. Also the fmq halos. They just got in the way but I kept them and tried them several times. After moving them to 3 new homes I finally threw them away and haven't missed them at all.

Daleen 09-21-2015 10:46 AM

I've been giving away unwanted fabric that I know I won't use to a small quilting group. I give some large scraps to a person who loves to make string quilts. I do a lot of charity work, i.e, baby quilts, drawstring bags, pillowcases for childrens hospital. It barely makes a dent in my stash but at least someone is able to use it instead of it sitting on a shelf. There are so many charities who would love to have fabric donated to them.

Jo Anne B. 09-21-2015 11:05 AM

The Omni Edge rulers, bought two, all my strips come out wonky if I cut from with the folded edge. Wish I had that money back!

Quilty-Louise 09-21-2015 11:27 AM

The Side Winder (bobbin winder) total waste of money for me, also bought
the quilt calculator, but I got lucky and only spent $12 for it after coupons,
and sale etc.

LOTS of darn ugly fabrics, that I now ask myself why in the heck did I even
LOOK at it to begin with.

madamekelly 09-21-2015 12:04 PM

The June Taylor plastic cutting mat. I used one for years, then DH bought me a self healing mat. The June Taylor protects your table, but not good for cutting. The cutter slides on it so accuracy is lacking. I am sold on the self healing, and they sell them as "artist supplies" on Amazon, so they are much less expensive. IMHO.

Grammy04 09-21-2015 02:29 PM

I bought the babylock Jane and Majestic frame to set it up. You are right about it being too small. I am thinking of buying the Block Rocket, too. Wanted a HQ sweet 16 sit down because I have back issues but that is not in my budget.

MarleneC 09-21-2015 04:53 PM

Don't know what it is called but the ruler that has the cutting blade on it. I can never get my strips to be the same width.

chris_quilts 09-21-2015 05:19 PM

A box/kit, whatever its called, of neutral quilting threads. I've never used them for quilting because I quilt with COLOR!! Have used some for piecing and gifted some too.

KnitnutBZ 09-21-2015 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by maryb119 (Post 7322685)
That is the first thing I thought of.

You can download the quiltcalc app for free. I use it all the time.

ctrysass2012 09-21-2015 07:51 PM

The quilt calculator is #1. It has been stuffed in a drawer for years. #2 would be the fabric I 'had' to have & have not used. That will have to go in a donation bin someday.