Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What is she doing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-she-doing-t205800.html)

ljs317 11-13-2012 10:47 AM

Does any one in the family remember where she worked? That might help in the identification process.

grann of 6 11-13-2012 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by ljs317 (Post 5654286)
Does any one in the family remember where she worked? That might help in the identification process.

I was wondering the same thing. I believe the lady is an aunt to DDILs best friend. Unfortunately I believe neither the aunt or the mom are alive, but not positive about the aunt. Haven't had a chance to talk to DDIL since all these wonderful ideas have come in. I think I will e-mail her the link to this thread so she can check out the comments. The friend has also posted this on Facebook trying to get ideas.

chips88 11-13-2012 01:53 PM

maybe a school teacher. in the auditorium opening the curtain for a play.. just a thought

Ladibug 11-13-2012 05:37 PM

A voting booth?....as good a guessas anything else...lol.

Ladibug

Jothesewer 11-13-2012 08:19 PM

I think it is a voting machine. I used to work the election and when you voted you went in the booth, pulled a curtain, then pulled down a lever for each person you were voting for. After polls closed there was a crank that you attached to the machine that cranked out 8 sheets of paper that were the size of the machine that had the votes and totals on it. I think this resembles that machine.
Jothesewer

Peckish 11-14-2012 08:22 AM

I asked my grandparents, who are in their late 80's. Their reply - "She's shredding office documents". I'm going to double-check with my mom. I didn't think shredding or recycling was a thing until the 70's or 80's.... maybe that's because I'm not old enough?

rebeljane 11-14-2012 08:30 AM

I'd say she was at work, maybe during the war and she is cranking an air raid siren lol

maryb44662 11-14-2012 08:32 AM

I say she dropped in some coins and is cranking out the postage stamps. Looks like mail boxes in the background.

grann of 6 11-14-2012 09:11 AM

Everyone has such great ideas. I sent DDIL the link to this thread so she can keep track without continually sending her a new post.

As far as the paper shredding, I am a child of the 40's, and don't remembr there being a lot of paper being around. I never heard of recycling before now. I just remember using handkerchiefs, cloth dish towels for everything. We never had paper towel that I remember. What I remember is "scrimping and saving", maybe the forrunner to recycling.

And yes, it does look like a mailbox, but seems like an awful heavy duty crank for cranking out stamps. We still can't figure out what is in the background, we thought it looked like a picture of "The coliseum".:D

Keep 'em coming guys! Love all the ideas!

tumrub 11-14-2012 02:55 PM

I think she is a post mistress