Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What size for an american pillowcase ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-size-american-pillowcase-t278652.html)

Nerys 05-14-2016 11:01 PM

What size for an american pillowcase ?

I wanted to make a pillowcase as a surprise gift for my american friend in the US. I google searched size american pillowcases but see different sizes? Which size do I make?

Jane Quilter 05-15-2016 01:55 AM

A standard pillowcase measures 20-by-26 inches, which is too short to fit a king pillow and too short for a queen pillow. A queen size pillowcase is typically 20-by-30 inches. Queen-size pillows are sized to fit two comfortably side by side while extending most of the way across a queen-size bed measuring 60 inches wide by 80 inches long.

Assuming your friends are adults, I would make it a queen size pillow case 20 x 30. It would fit on all sized beds. Most Adults in US use queen size beds, and even those that use king sized beds, most often use queen sized pillows. If your friends are children, they are probably in a twin or a double. Again, a queen sized pillow looks best on those beds and they probably have queen pillows. And if they have regular pillows, a queen case will fit it without looking too big.

Your other choice is to make it King sized and let them sew the one seam to make it shorter, assuming they have the skill and the interest in modifying a gift. And Kings cases never look good on a queen or regular pillow.

Again, I would make it Queen Sized 20 inches by 30 inches.

Hope this helps you

Onebyone 05-15-2016 06:43 AM

Also most pillows are puffed and not flat. The best quality cases have several pleats in the case to accommodate the roundness. I add a extra fabric for at least two pleats in all the cases I make.

Nerys 05-15-2016 08:34 AM

Thanks for all the good advice to all.

lynnie 05-15-2016 10:43 AM

I make all my pillowcases. i use a yard of fabric for them. sometime 3/4 yard, and add a cuff of finished size 7-9" more.
it allows for a standard or a queen/king pillowcase. good luck.

ManiacQuilter2 05-15-2016 11:55 AM

What a nice gift to make.

BETTY62 05-15-2016 07:45 PM

If you are still in the planning stage, check out one of the many on-line tutorials for making the "tube pillowcases". I really like the one on the Missouri Star Quilt Shop site.

Maureen 05-16-2016 02:39 AM

I always use the Missouri Quilt Co tutorial when I make my pillow cases. They come out so nice.

Geri B 05-16-2016 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 7549865)
Also most pillows are puffed and not flat. The best quality cases have several pleats in the case to accommodate the roundness. I add a extra fabric for at least two pleats in all the cases I make.

now I know I'm on the bottom rung of life's ladder.....I have never seen a pillowcase with pleats in it for fullness. What brand, where? Not doubting, just want to know.......

elnan 05-16-2016 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 7549865)

I'll have to get in line with Geri B. on this new one. Even Mr. Google failed me in looking for info on this method. Onebyone, could you elaborate more on this?