Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What is This?!? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-t116601.html)

stitchingcrazy 04-17-2011 12:55 PM

it looks like a machine knitting needle adapted by someone to perform some other stitchy task. It's definitely a needle from a flat bed knitting machine.

JusticeClan 04-17-2011 02:10 PM

I have one that belonged to my Mom and is a newer model with a wooden handle. The end hook is the same as yours and I believe it is for hooking rugs.

Iamquilter 04-17-2011 02:18 PM

Unless it is from an old old knitting machine , it is not from a knitting machine as I have two and they do not look like that.(they don't have that spring on them)

butterflywing 04-17-2011 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by KandiKane

Originally Posted by redbugsullivan
Going through my mother's/grandmother's sewing stuff, we found this little gizmo. Sorry that the tip is so fuzzy in the picture.

Its business end has a hook with a hinged bit that would allow the user to pull something out without snagging. The whole thing is less than 3" long. We are baffled.

used for sweater pulls, used to fix them with same yarn, hook rugs but light ones , I have same from my grandmother days , on the other end is a gadget pull though helper..

i don't think so. the ones that they sell for pulling sweater snags ARE just like that on the hinged end, but they don't have that springy thingy that looks like it would add tension. does that spring move at all? if it does, then the tool would damage a sweater. in any event, that spring is there for something.

EDIT TO CORRECT: sorry. i just realized that it's made for the hook to go THROUGH the handle. the spring would hold back the material, whatever that would be, either snag or rug.

wolfkitty 04-17-2011 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by genafan201
I'm thinking one of those things they used to use to button up the high shoes from back in the late 1800's early 1900's...

I was thinking shoe buttoner, also.

max's grandma 04-17-2011 03:22 PM

my mother had one of these and she repaired runs in nylon hose, having six girls wearing them she was kept busy.

kaygee 04-17-2011 04:30 PM

I have a gadget that has the same end hook but long skinny metal handle. It is used for turning the fabric right side out when making spegetti straps.

rahaube 04-17-2011 06:23 PM

I agree. I think it is an early latch hook for rug hooking.

2000HD 04-17-2011 06:48 PM

The picture of the shoe button hook is just like the one my Granny gave me.

Jammin' Jane 04-18-2011 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
It could be a latch hook , but more likely at that size, it is a snag fixer for knits like sweaters. You pulled the snagged loop to the underside where it wasn't seen.

I agree with you, Irishrose!