Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What types of projects should I plan? - going to be laid up a week or so (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-types-projects-should-i-plan-going-laid-up-week-so-t171961.html)

qbquilts 12-13-2011 06:05 PM

What types of projects should I plan? - going to be laid up a week or so

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted on here much since the big switch, but I've got a question for y'all. I met with the surgeon today and scheduled outpatient gallbladder surgery for the end of the month. He expects me to be laid up about a week. Anyone have any suggestions of types of projects I should have ready to go? If you've had laparoscopic gallbladder surgery, how soon were you able to tolerate sitting and sewing at your machine? I hate taking off work, but it will be nice to be home for a few days, that is, if I can actually do stuff those few days.

Or should I just stock up on books from the library and plan on doing a bunch of reading?

Thanks,
qbquilts

barny 12-13-2011 06:09 PM

Hi qbquilts. First thing is you need to rest yourself. Give yourself time. But from what Ii've seen from people, it doesn't take long to recouperate. Maybe a good book to start.huh? Barny

zipit 12-13-2011 06:44 PM

I had emergency surgery at 4am on a Sunday morning for mine. I waxed my car the next day which might have been just a little ambitious. I would imagine, unless there are problems, that you'll be able to sew as normal as long as you don't have to lift your machine up and down.

QuiltE 12-13-2011 08:32 PM

Why not ask your Dr?
S/He's the only one qualified to give you medical advice regarding your condition, and post-surgery condition.

QM 12-13-2011 08:38 PM

From what I hear, there is a lot of variation on what people feel up to. I would get a stack of books and some handwork (binding?) just in case.

jaciqltznok 12-13-2011 09:21 PM

sleep....make a list and check it twice..watch the Hallmark channel...get healed properly and quickly!

Jingle 12-14-2011 08:27 AM

I had that surgery a few years back only thing I couldn't do was bend over. I went back to work same day I got out of the hospital, same for appendics. I healed just fine.

momto5 12-14-2011 04:38 PM

Sleep, read, repeat! I had one last year with a complicating tumor but still did very well...but you won't feel too rough with just a lap gallbladder...you should do fine!

Glenda m 12-14-2011 05:05 PM

I practiced getting up and down and how I would lay in bed so not to strain anything. I then knew which way I could 'go.' Didn't take long to get back in the swing of things.

johanka 12-14-2011 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by zipit (Post 4779393)
I had emergency surgery at 4am on a Sunday morning for mine. I waxed my car the next day which might have been just a little ambitious. I would imagine, unless there are problems, that you'll be able to sew as normal as long as you don't have to lift your machine up and down.

I was sick last week with my gall bladder. So just how sick do you have to get before they will take it out?