Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What would you do? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-would-you-do-t109744.html)

Keaghank 03-22-2011 10:05 AM

So hubby and I are planning two things:
1) moving home (different state)
2) starting a family

The question is, which order? We can't sell our current house until summer 2012 because we received the tax refund, and we can't start a family until at least August because of some medication he's on. I'm not sure whether to have a child and then move shortly afterwards - makes me nervous about finding a job, health insurance (which is currently through my job), a house... OR do you move and then have a child? We both have siblings that have children, and don't want our children to be *so* far off in ages that they don't play with their cousins... but I just think of how nice it would be to go to my family doctor and have my parents and sisters right there. We're so anxious to start, but what do you do? Anyone have some experience and/or advice??

luv-e 03-22-2011 10:07 AM

Honey, that is a tough one//
Leave that in God's Hands...... Don't stress over it...It wouldn't be good for the baby.......

Jim's Gem 03-22-2011 10:08 AM

I would, personally, work on the baby then move. I'm assuming that You have your health insurance through your jobs and so you will really need that.
We moved, courtesy of the Navy, when my oldest child was 3 weeks old. The move went well, they are very transportable at that age. It was harder when my 4th was 1 year old, there's so much stuff and since we were moving from Colorado to California, it was a long drive an at 1 year, he did not like spending a lot of time in his car seat. (though he was very sick during that move)

MommaDorian 03-22-2011 10:10 AM

I agree with Gayle. Have a baby before you move, before you leave your jobs. Moving with a baby isn't ideal, but it's doable. Keep us posted!!

Quilter7x 03-22-2011 10:10 AM

Seems moving would be much easier without a little one in tow. If you wait, then you won't have to change OB's and pediatricians, but I hear what you're saying about the cousins playing together. Tough decision.

deanneellen 03-22-2011 10:12 AM

That's a hard one but you already have insurance and a job now so maybe have the baby and plan ahead for your move so you have some savings to see you through? Let us know what your decision is and good luck to you.

QuiltingGrannie 03-22-2011 10:12 AM

I agree leave it in God's hands.

Either way both will take time. Unless you already have a house in mind to buy that alone can take a while to find and get to the closing and moving in. Plus the timing of selling your own house.

As for having children... let God bless you with His timing. Since you can't start the family til later this year I'd start by getting organized with what you are looking for in a house, the details of selling your house and all the other Pre work that needs to be done.

Rose L 03-22-2011 10:14 AM

I'd work on the baby first since you know you have to wait to sell and move. Don't worry about the job unless you already know that the economy isn't going to support finding a job readily in the area that you want to move to. If things are pretty good in the area then they will work themselves out. Things usually do. Live, love, trust in God and take things as they come. Best wishes!

Ramona Byrd 03-22-2011 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
Seems moving would be much easier without a little one in tow. If you wait, then you won't have to change OB's and pediatricians, but I hear what you're saying about the cousins playing together. Tough decision.

--------------------------------
I had that idea many, many years ago when I had both my daughters when in Albuquerque. As it happened, my girls never saw those cousins again once I moved back to California. I do have family here, and they grew up with my side of the family, but as for their Dad's side, never again.
You will have to make up your own mind about all this, you and your DH. Life has a habit of happening when you make plans, and life might have different ideas of what you are going to find down the road. Not what you thought would happen.

Ramona Byrd 03-22-2011 10:17 AM

Go to Flylady and follow her advice for moving. First and foremost, declutter is what she advises.