Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What are you having for Christmas dinner? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-you-having-christmas-dinner-t258517.html)

judy363905 12-23-2014 08:50 PM

Christmas Eve, we will be having Boneless Pork Loin Roast, onions, carrots and potatoes with yummy gravy, side salad, dinner rolls and dessert.
Christmas Day, we will be having Swedish Meatballs, broccoli, potatoes with a different yummy gravy, side salad, dinner rolls and dessert. Can you see that we really like gravy :)
This is a photo of the cookies the girls and I baked on Saturday, most of them have been delivered to friends and family

Judy in Phx, AZ

Opps - sorry unable to add photo

kathdavis 12-23-2014 11:32 PM

Our Christmas Day will start with an breakfast casserole with biscuits as we open gifts.

Then our daughters will go to their other side for lunch and I'll fix a brisket with green rice for us, as well as, beer dip, cream cheese dip, Mexican caviar, and black olive dip to snack on.

Then at 5:00 PM, everyone comes back and my siblings will join us for an Italian Christmas Dinner of stuffed shells, sauce, meatballs, Italian sausage, and Italian bread; with leftover brisket, pies, etc.

On Sunday, the 21st, we hosted Christmas dinner for my husband's side and we had lasagna, pasta, meatballs, etc.

GailG 12-24-2014 02:57 AM

We gather on Christmas Eve for our "Cajun Christmas" (gift swap/stealing, etc.) then have a potluck meal. Always buffet style. This year, our church published a new cookbook so we have decided to bring items prepared from the recipes in the cookbook. Not sure what everyone else is bringing , but my choice was sausage bread and a favorite for the kids, peanut butter balls. Then Christmas night we'll again be gathering at the home of one of the grand daughters. This will be a meal of baked ham, rice dressing, asparagus, praline yam casserole, and whatever anyone chooses to bring. I plan on bringing jambalaya and red velvet cupcakes.

Nanny's dollface 12-24-2014 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly (Post 7017526)
Finally-someone who can answer this question. What is Yorkshire pudding?

doggramma described Yorkshire pudding - thanks! The popovers are light, airy, with a crispy flaky outside that stand 5 inches tall if you use a muffin tin that is designed for popovers. They are yummy.

ILoveToQuilt 12-24-2014 06:49 PM

Leftovers from dinner tonight (American chop suey).

judy363905 12-25-2014 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by kathdavis (Post 7019699)
Our Christmas Day will start with an breakfast casserole with biscuits as we open gifts.

Then our daughters will go to their other side for lunch and I'll fix a brisket with green rice for us, as well as, beer dip, cream cheese dip, Mexican caviar, and black olive dip to snack on.

Then at 5:00 PM, everyone comes back and my siblings will join us for an Italian Christmas Dinner of stuffed shells, sauce, meatballs, Italian sausage, and Italian bread; with leftover brisket, pies, etc.

On Sunday, the 21st, we hosted Christmas dinner for my husband's side and we had lasagna, pasta, meatballs, etc.

Sounds yummy. I know how to make Mexican Caviar, but not Beer Dip. :)

Judy in Phx, AZ

Shelbie 12-25-2014 04:11 PM

These Christmas dinners sound delicious but very different from ours. We had turkey stuffed with dressing, cooked cranberries, gravy, mashed whipped potatoes, rhutebbaga (yellow fleshed turnip) peas, carrots, cabbage salad, pickled beets, home made chutney relish and grandma's tea biscuits. For dessert we had steamed carrot/potato suet pudding with a thick carmel sauce, assorted squares and cookies, Christmas fruitcake and some chocolates and nuts.

Airwick156 12-25-2014 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by svenskaflicka1 (Post 7017450)
scandinavian traditions, at our house: lutefisk, lefse, swedish sausage, meatballs, ham (for the cowards), fresh baked rolls, potatoes with white sauce, and the southern sweden tradition of a blistering hot mustard to serve with the fish. there will be herring, pickled beets, cheeses, crackers, cranberries or lingonberries, and a big pot of rice pudding. a little eggnog on the side, and cookies and breads for dessert. smorgasbord!

Lutefisk is something that I tried 37 years ago for the first time for Christmas dinner. I DID not like it. (my ex sister in law is scandanavian also). My precious brother in law at the time...LOADED his plate up with ONLY the lutefisk...I gagged just watching him eat it. And then the following 10 years...we went to their house again and once again Lutefisk was on the menu and I tried it every single year and NOPE...still didnt like it. I think its an acquired taste. I wonder if it was the way she prepared it. But, I am not willing to try it again. :)

Barbshobbies 12-27-2014 02:27 PM

Our youngest daughter was having it, but got sick the day before, so it was moved to the next daughter, and every body brought what they could. We had more than we needed, and it was so much fun! We supplied smoked turkey and butterfinger torte, and every one brought what they would have brought to the other daughters house!