Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What are you planting in your garden this year ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-you-planting-your-garden-year-t210943.html)

Caswews 01-14-2013 09:54 AM

What are you planting in your garden this year ?

What are all of ya planting this year in your gardens ?
I am planting tomatoes (cherry and romas), a zuke plant or two, some onions, Hatch Chile peppers, jalapenos. OF course my herb garden so I can freeze and dry them to have all year long. Then to the farmer's markets in June for the rest of the items for the lunch and dinner table. We absolutely love cherry tomatoes on the grill along with green peppers, onions and zuchini.

Last year we found a local who has a garden that he has too much of (LOL imagine that one !) and we were able to pick all kinds of fruits for jellies and jams. We even found herbs and many vegetables that we brought home in small quantities (as its just the 2 of us plus our dog) to can for future usage. Its all natural no pesticides used, and oh boy some really good tasting green beans! LOL

joyce blint 01-14-2013 11:01 AM

We no longer have a flower garden. I want to plant some 4 o clocks and nastutiums in baskets. . I remember my great aunt had those when I was growing up. They're kind of hard to find, so will probably order the seeds. We had a large pergola added to our hse late last fall, so want to get some flowering vines started around it; thinking of dantura (moonflower), vining roses and sweet peas. We'll see what actually happens!

MaryMo 01-14-2013 11:06 AM

Its way to early for me to think about actual details ... I'm in the dreaming stage with temps in the brrr range. I know there will be tomatoes and greeen peppers. With my herb garden in hibernation I will wait to see what survives. I've not even opened seed catalogs yet.

Sandra in Minnesota 01-14-2013 02:01 PM

Waaaay too early for me too. We should still get at least 40 inches more snow this winter.

cattailsquilts 01-14-2013 02:02 PM

Hubby just planted onions, tomatoes, bok choy & spinach. He also has a bunch of seeds on order for hot peppers, cukes, carrots, & amaranth, can't remember what else. We have a tiny back yard, but we're trying to eat better, and he's a garden nut, so I let him have fun. :)

nygal 01-14-2013 02:14 PM

We haven't even begun to consider it yet. Still Winter here.

nativetexan 01-14-2013 02:28 PM

ha, ha. nothing. my little bushes i planted last Spring are looking dead on their little roots. not much snow here, so no moisture to speak of. and i'd watered them every day almost. sigh.

mountain-moma 01-14-2013 08:33 PM

Way to early to think about it yet.... But of course sure felt like Spring here this wkend with 70 degrees now it's down to 37 here tonight and pouring rain

CindyA 01-15-2013 04:32 AM

Hmmm . . . . hadn't thought about it yet. Still waiting on it to feel like winter. But our cherry tomatoes did really well last year, the first time we tried them. Maybe I'll try some roma tomatoes and herbs. I want to get better about preserving things for winter use. I did freeze some peaches when they were in season and we've been enjoying them, so I'll do that again. Also, we're enjoying the pesto I made and froze.

Joset 01-15-2013 06:12 AM

i will be planting lots of stuff as i do every year. i plant till all three gardens are full.