Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   what's a good remedy for sore throat/cold (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/whats-good-remedy-sore-throat-cold-t94808.html)

Nanjun 01-30-2011 10:16 AM

Zinc lozenges are good too

Dixieldy 02-01-2011 07:46 PM

I recently got the flu and was left with a sore throat which felt like H@LL fire was built in my mouth. Someone told me to go buy some RAW honey and take a tsp of it and swish it around my throat and swallow. My throat had been almost closed up I must say... but after taking the teaspoon of honey, it was immediately gone. The raw honey has a healing property in it. It cost me like 10.00 for a quart but boy was it so worth the money. I hope this helps and hope he gets better.

ErinMarie 02-01-2011 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by diane Sneed
Gargle with liquid benadryl[children's].This coats and deadens your throat.

I forgot about this one...my oldest dd had an outbreak of coldsores in her mouth/throat as a toddler- the doc prescribed benadryl mixed with maalox to swish and swallow to numb. Dh makes a tea out of lime peel, a slice of onion, and bayleaf.

zennia 02-02-2011 04:31 AM

There is a tea called Throat Coat that really works.

JoanneS 02-05-2011 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by sash
I need a good remedy for a sore throat and cold. Got any ideas. It's not for me; I can usually cope, but you know, it's the dh (hate for him to get sick and run down). Thanks.

Hot water with lemon and a lot of scotch. Or bourbon.

Edit: I replied before I read the rest of the thread. A lot of us think alike!

JoanneS 02-05-2011 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
another thing to take is zinc..and up to 1,000mg of vitamin C day for the first 3 days...

however, if you have a sore throat, and no sinus drainage, no cough, no fever...you might have acid reflux instead!

Very true. I dosed myself with cough drops for months before I found out I had GERD - serious acid reflux. I wound up with a couple cavities, too, because I was sucking cough drops at night just before I went to sleep.

quilting cat 02-05-2011 09:04 PM

Chamomile - mint tea (like some "bedtime" teas), with honey and lemon juice if there is a cough.

JoanneS 02-06-2011 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by quilting cat
Chamomile - mint tea (like some "bedtime" teas), with honey and lemon juice if there is a cough.

Unfortunately, if you even suspect that you have acid reflux, mint and lemon juice are no-nos. Get yourself checked out before you start using home remedies.

sash 02-06-2011 06:19 PM

Thanks for all the tip; great things to know.

Lneal 02-06-2011 06:58 PM

I recently bought some tea bags from wal mart that was especially for sore throat. I had to pay almost five dollars for the box, but it was so soothing it was worth it.